Re: Does not follow...

Post by Darrell »

The world's oldest known joke is a fart joke:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-joke- ... 5120080731
Eppur si muove--Galileo
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Monday morning cognitive dissonance: why do liberals love Garrison Kelloir, "Prairie Home Companion", and Lake Wobegon so much when the real-life inter-coastal white enclaves with no racial diversity piss them off so much?
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

dfwmtx wrote:Monday morning cognitive dissonance: why do liberals love Garrison Kelloir, "Prairie Home Companion", and Lake Wobegon so much when the real-life inter-coastal white enclaves with no racial diversity piss them off so much?
Because if you scratch past the surface of folksiness of it, it is all ultimately mocking that lifestyle.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

I think it's more that Lake Wobegon is sanitized for them. The only political things brought up in it are exclusively things they can understand, the ways of the older generation grudgingly shuffling aside for the new, Norman Rockwell-esque imagery of ice fishing, etc. The local church has a female pastor but the biggest reaction people have to it is "I'm not sure how I feel about it, but whatever."

Furthermore, many liberals quite like living in all-white neighborhoods. Diversity is something that happens to other people. And they're not immune to fantasies of retiring to nice little towns out in the countryside, either.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I can see how "tab clearing" became a thing.

Also, in my work, I get lots of interruptions where people need me to look at things for them. I then have to do the tab clearing equivalent with windows, closing all the stuff I opened up to help people, then trying to figure out what I was using in what I was working on before the interruption. It can sometimes be a bit challenging for my short term memory. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Doing the semi-annual cleaning up and re-organizing of the man-cave and reloading bench.

Could some kind soul please explain why I have a box of .25 ACP, a half-box of .32 ACP, and two boxes of .410 shotshells (3-inch, #6 shot)? Cause I'd really like to know how this crap got here. I've never bought any of this stuff, does it just magically appear at random?

On the plus side, I found 200 7mm-08 cases, once-fired Winchester, that I didn't know I had (or bought and forgot about, take your pick).
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I have .32 ACP around because I have my grandma's carry gun, a CZ-27, and my girls love shooting it.

I have two .25 ACP shells because they're so cute. ;)

And an ammo can of .45 ACP because someday... someday, I'll own a 1911.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

One of the high volume assemblies, it has been in production for about 5+ years with no real significant issues:

Earlier this year, the plant manager goes on a re-sourcing binge and changes suppliers for some of the components, now one of the components from the new supplier does not fit properly and is causing a no-build situation and we are line down, customers screaming, etc.....

Well the plant is saying that clearly it is a design issue. WTF! - no it isn't. Their own fracking data shows the new parts aren't to spec. We could build them for the last 5 years with the last vendor, I don't care if you save a half cent with the new vendor. Go F yourselves.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

We had an example in a class I took on business principles (oxymoronic, I know) of a shoe company that almost went broke because they changed thread suppliers, and the new thread broke a lot more often, causing slowdowns in production. The 1/2 cent per spool that they saved amounted to less than $50 dollars a day, and the extra breakage was costing them several thousand.

Which goes back to an old engineer I knew, way back when. He'd started out as a machinist, went on to tool-and-die, and then engineering. He said "You should never trust an engineer who won't get his hands dirty. If he won't get dirty, what he knows is book-learning, not real life."
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

First Shirt wrote:Which goes back to an old engineer I knew, way back when. He'd started out as a machinist, went on to tool-and-die, and then engineering. He said "You should never trust an engineer who won't get his hands dirty. If he won't get dirty, what he knows is book-learning, not real life."
I'm with him. I had a project once where a city's sewer force main kept breaking. Their crew dug up a break, and I jumped down in the hole to look at it to try to figure out what was causing it. Jumped back out and I'm scuffing my boots in the grass, and the city administrator with wide eyes says, "I've never seen an engineer willing to go down in the hole like that." I said, "How do they figure anything out without actually looking at it?"