Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

Denis wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Fuck. Me.
Apparently they did.... and me too. Where am I going to get .450 Marlin now?
They are still offering it with that asinine pointed bullet. But since the only reason I own that rifle is for bears at bad breath range, that's definitely NOT what I need.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Denis wrote:
Your choice. ;)
happyreloaderblue.gif
happyreloaderred.gif
happyreloadergreen.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Gunnuts wrote:
Denis wrote:
Your choice. ;)
happyreloaderblue.gif
happyreloaderred.gif
happyreloadergreen.gif
The entire point of that rifle in the first place was to not have to do that, or seek out $$$ Buffalo Bore (which was harder to find at the time).

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The problem is Marlin and Hornady came up with the .450 Marlin, which was a great idea, but they both fundamentally misunderstood what they had created and how to market it. The real purpose of that caliber was for somebody who needed a close range, heavy hitting lever gun, and was not really concerned with tradition or the aesthetics of the matter. It should have been introduced together with a stainless steel guide gun with synthetic or laminated stocks, but instead they insisted on ONLY offering it in fancy blued rifles with beautiful walnut stocks. Every .450 Marlin I have seen had nicer wood than equivalent .45-70 models, to the point where I think they were reserving that wood for guns in the cartridge that had their name on it, as sort of a flagship model.

The problem is most of the guys who wanted a rifle like that wanted it in .45-70. They never made the .450 in the utilitarian tool that it should have been from the beginning, and then of course they were disappointed with the sales to the point where they no longer even offer the chambering. They had a real opportunity to establish the cartridge in that role before the semi-custom .45-70 ammo became ubiquitous and they blew it. And by the time they finally offered a stainless Guide Gun, it was probably too late the save the .450 Marlin, and then they refused to offer it in stainless anyway.

Kind of the same thing with Hornady... They came up with those pointed bullets and invested a lot of resources in promoting them. They're probably a positive thing for calibers like the .30WCF, but whoever decided to to load them for the big bores missed the boat. They misunderstood what those rifles are actually used for, whether that be busting hogs or trying to kill a bear that is trying to kill me at close range. The cartridges can be used at longer range, but nobody really buys one for that. And thanks to Marlin's not having marketed the rifle correctly, there's probably only enough demand for ammo to sustain one load offering. So they drop the 350 grain interlock, which is actually useful, and consistent with how the rifles are used in reality, and keep the stupid pointed bullet that they invested in the big marketing campaign for, but which nobody using a big bore really wants. They'll probably keep it around for a while and then discontinue it too, due to low demand.

In reality there was a lot of demand for a tool like the .450 Marlin, but they ended up killing it because they had no clue what they really had in it, and they stubbornly clung to a flawed concept of what they thought it should be.

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

You should send this to them as a sternly worded letter. Maybe they'd take a hint.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

no longer am I thinking of standing my ground and facing the mutant-zombie-biker hordes; I'm thinking of selling off some guns and ammo so now my plan will be to shoot, shoot and scoot, shot and scoot, shoot and scoot and scoot, reload!

So where's the best place to sell guns so I can get the most ca$h from it? Local gunshow, pawnshop, local gun shop, try to sell it online? Or should I wait for those gun buybacks put forth by police and anti-gun groups so I can get some gift cards? (/sarc at the last bit)
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

This morning Mortimer finally succeeded in accompanying my son to pre-school for show and tell, because I forgot to check his backpack for stowaways (not his first attempt) like I usually do. When he got home he was bragging about his accomplishment. Mrs. NPR confirms that she didn't put him in there, so the little turkey snuck him in under my nose.

Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Oh my goodness. Had frozen custard for the first time today.
In addition to Culvers, you need to touch bases with Andy's and Sheridan's as well. At Sheridan's, the Grant's Grasshopper is great, if you love mint chocolate chip ice cream.
We had Andy's custard for the first time today.

It's *good*. Might be better than our current favorite, Fritz's, but it's a tough call.

We tried vanilla and chocolate, no mixins.

Andy's is in general less sweet than Fritz's. Andy's vanilla has less obvious vanilla flavor, but much more egginess comes through. Bit of a matter of personal preference. Their chocolate had a slightly stronger, more bitter chocolate taste. Compared to Fritz's it was like Andy's was 'darker'.

Distinct lack of emulsifier weird mouth feel and aftertaste, it's the real deal.

We don't get down to Kirkwood that often, but we'll be having Andy's again I'm sure.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Denis

Post by Denis »

Gunnuts wrote:
Denis wrote:
Your choice. ;)
happyreloaderblue.gif
happyreloaderred.gif
happyreloadergreen.gif
Cute!

What NPR said. The reason I have a .450 Marlin rifle in the US is that I hope and expect to take a trip one day to Alaska or some other place in North America where there are bears. I don't intend to hunt bear, but I would like to see some in the wild. If I'm going to bear country, I'm going to bring a bear gun for self defence (Rule 3*). If I bring a bear gun, I'll want bear ammo. As I'll be on vacation, I can't load my own ammo and bring it with me - I need to be able to buy it. Maybe I need to find some NOS of the flat-nose Hornady while that's still possible, and order it for delivery to be stored with the rifle.
For bear defense the "Co-pilot" stands by itself, but though it is very handy, it is still a rifle and must be managed with two hands. Various outdoor jobs call for the use of both hands, and the big pistols - 44 Magnum and up - may be worn on the person with both hands free. A 12 gauge shotgun with proper slugs may deal with this job, if that is all you can lay your hands on, but you should not count on it.

*Remember Col. Cooper's Bear Rules:

1. Be alert.
2. Remember that bears are not cuddly.
3. Never enter bear country without a powerful firearm and the skill to use it well.
4. Never camp on a bear thoroughfare.
5. Be alert.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:
HTRN wrote:So, it seems that the free WiFi kiosks experiment in the big Apple didn't go the way they thought it would, instead attracting homeless squatters..
What, those nice OCCUPY kids again? :lol:
No, out and out homeless. Google it, it's funny as hell. What they should have done, is set the firmware to not broadcast to the same Mac address for more than 5 minutes per day, and grossly limited the actual on screen browser to certain, useful websites. The squat camps may have been the reason for the hoopla, but I can almost guarantee that there is somebody living nearby, abusing the "privilege" through the use of directional antennas, especially considering how fast the pipe is - upwards of half a gig a second.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt