Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Netpackrat »

Unexpected, delayed, semi-attaboy at work today... Was sitting through a CBT refresher on performing a maintenance task, and when I got to the end of it, the "good example" of how to document it properly was a log entry I made several years ago.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

One reason why I do not own anything in 5.56:

The result of firing 300 Blackout in a 5.56 rifle....

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Equally good argument for not owning a .300 Blackout. :lol:
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

First Shirt wrote:Equally good argument for not owning a .300 Blackout. :lol:
Yep. I find that 7.62x39 does everything I would need a .300 Blackout for except for off-the-shelf subsonic loads. And those I can do myself.

ETA Thas's one loooong .223 bullet now. Wonder what the sectional density would be for an intact bullet like that. :twisted:
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

This reminds me--I once took the M96 Swedish Mauser and K31 Swiss to the range. I was using Prvi ammo in both calibers, 6.55x55 and 7.5x55. The cartridge boxes were identical, other than labeling for caliber. At one point I had a failure to chamber when shooting the Swede, the bolt refused to close. Inspection revealed that I was trying to chamber a 7.5 round in it, and it just would not fit, lucky for me. I wonder what would have happened if I'd managed to get a 6.5 in the K31 and pull the trigger... :?
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

First Shirt wrote:Equally good argument for not owning a .300 Blackout. :lol:
Right, but there are still no prairie dogs in Alaska. I have no use for a 5.56. If I just want to shoot cheap ammo, then I have steel case 7.62x39 for that.
Captain Wheelgun wrote:Yep. I find that 7.62x39 does everything I would need a .300 Blackout for except for off-the-shelf subsonic loads. And those I can do myself.
Typical twist rates for 7.62x39 barrels are a little slow for subs, plus in the heavier weight bullets that are appropriate for such loads, there are only a few choices and availability is spotty. I looked into it a lot, and if I thought x39 was a good option for subsonic ammo, I would be using it instead of Blackout. And as much as I love the AK, it just doesn't suppress as well as the AR.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Enjoying a rum and coke in my knockoff yeti tumbler, and contemplating buying a tormach gang tool lathe.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Netpackrat wrote:
Captain Wheelgun wrote:Yep. I find that 7.62x39 does everything I would need a .300 Blackout for except for off-the-shelf subsonic loads. And those I can do myself.
Typical twist rates for 7.62x39 barrels are a little slow for subs, plus in the heavier weight bullets that are appropriate for such loads, there are only a few choices and availability is spotty. I looked into it a lot, and if I thought x39 was a good option for subsonic ammo, I would be using it instead of Blackout. And as much as I love the AK, it just doesn't suppress as well as the AR.
You're most likely right about the twist rate on 7.62x39. I don't really have a use for subs, but I do want to play around with them. I figure that I should be OK using the 174 - 180 grain bullets from my .303s, but probably nothing heavier than 200 grains.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

People who cannot drill out screws, should not attempt to do so. Cow-orker on a previous shift stripped a couple of screws, drilled the heads off to get the panel off, then found there was no access to the nutplates once it was off. Then proceeded to try to drill out one of the #8 titanium screws, that were in floating nutplates, overhead. It was completely FUBARed by the time I clocked in. The non-molested screw was a relatively straightforward extraction, but I could do nothing with the other one. Spent almost my whole shift tonight removing the sub-assembly, replacing the nutplate, and getting it all back together again.

:evil:

Greg

Post by Greg »

We tried a practice garden this year. The rabbits have been eating everything but the peppers and the broccoli. Oh and my mint and basil.

My wife is so conflicted. She thinks the bunnies are adorable but is irate about some of what they've eaten. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr