Slow Cooker Recipes

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
rightisright

Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

Post by rightisright »

Denis wrote: I steamed the skinned and chopped potato, mashed it immediately with preheated milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg, then added the sauteed onions, bacon and fish all into the slow cooker. With the slow cooker on its lowest setting, and the fish added cold, but no longer frozen, the soup was hot after about 2 hours, the clams and prawns were hot, but not overdone, and the cod fillets had flaked down, which was actually rather nice. The only thing I would do differently next time is to liquidise the potato/milk mixture in a blender, for a smoother texture than I got by whisking it with an electric beater.
Ahh. When my brain hears "slow cooker", I think long cook times. I never thought of doing a seafood soup in the slow cooker. Nicely done!

And it sounds like you need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Cuisinart- ... on+blender
randy

Post by randy »

Ya know, I'm somehow thinking that the average anti-gunner doesn't have threads like this in mind when they imagine (because they would never actually go to) an internet board for gun nuts.

Just a random thought that amused me. Carry on.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Denis

Post by Denis »

rightisright wrote:And it sounds like you need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Cuisinart- ... on+blender
Thanks! I do have an immersion blender... probably should have used it. I don't bother when making regular potato soup, because I like the texture a bit rougher, but somehow the chowder ought to be more unctuous... I probably should have dashed some cream into it at the end too!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Denis wrote:
rightisright wrote:And it sounds like you need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Cuisinart- ... on+blender
Thanks! I do have an immersion blender... probably should have used it. I don't bother when making regular potato soup, because I like the texture a bit rougher, but somehow the chowder ought to be more unctuous... I probably should have dashed some cream into it at the end too!
How does one make chowder without any cream, anyway? :o
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Denis

Post by Denis »

Greg wrote:How does one make chowder without any cream, anyway? :o
That would happen when someone forgot to put cream on the shopping list... :oops: ...allegedly.
Denis

Post by Denis »

randy wrote:Ya know, I'm somehow thinking that the average anti-gunner doesn't have threads like this in mind when they imagine (because they would never actually go to) an internet board for gun nuts.

These recipes are too good for anti-gunners!
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I was going to do cacciatore-style pork chops in my slow cooker this morning, but "First, brown the chops in a frying pan" seems like an extra and unnecessary step. It also involves fire; fire + lack of sleep = tragedy for me, comedy for others. I wonder if just tossing the unbrowned chops, sauce and vegetables into the cooker will cause the meat to be ruined.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

SoupOrMan wrote:I was going to do cacciatore-style pork chops in my slow cooker this morning, but "First, brown the chops in a frying pan" seems like an extra and unnecessary step. It also involves fire; fire + lack of sleep = tragedy for me, comedy for others. I wonder if just tossing the unbrowned chops, sauce and vegetables into the cooker will cause the meat to be ruined.
I routinely put raw meat into a slow cooker. You don't get the caramelization like you might on a fire or hot griddle, but the meat cooks just fine. Most of my recipes involve raw meat in the slow cooker.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Greg

Post by Greg »

PawPaw wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote:I was going to do cacciatore-style pork chops in my slow cooker this morning, but "First, brown the chops in a frying pan" seems like an extra and unnecessary step. It also involves fire; fire + lack of sleep = tragedy for me, comedy for others. I wonder if just tossing the unbrowned chops, sauce and vegetables into the cooker will cause the meat to be ruined.
I routinely put raw meat into a slow cooker. You don't get the caramelization like you might on a fire or hot griddle, but the meat cooks just fine. Most of my recipes involve raw meat in the slow cooker.
It'll cook just fine, might even come out more tender, just won't have that extra depth of flavor you get from browning. So add your own flavor.

My wife has a few slow cooker recipes that involve starting with raw chicken thigh meat, not browned. They come out just fine.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

randy wrote:Ya know, I'm somehow thinking that the average anti-gunner doesn't have threads like this in mind when they imagine (because they would never actually go to) an internet board for gun nuts.

They think they have a monopoly on all forms of culture more sophisticated than grunting out passages from the Bible.

Personally I'm an enormous fan of Mark Steyn.