Slow Cooker Recipes

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
PawPaw

Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

Post by PawPaw »

toad wrote: The Aluminum foil reflects radiant heat back to the pot. It has increased the cooking rate.
It's called a slow cooker for a reason.

I get it about energy efficiency. But, a slow-cooker is, by definition a SLOW cooker.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Denis

Post by Denis »

Today's slow cooker dish was cod, prawn, clam, bacon and chive chowder (in other words, potato and onion soup with fish poached in it). It turned out really well!
Denis

Post by Denis »

Didn't do it in the slow cooker this time, but I just want to say that if you're making cottage pie, a glass of red wine and a handful of dried porcini mushrooms in the meat sauce take it from merely good to moreish.

Another glass or three of red wine for the chef is also not a bad idea.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I'm marking this thread for review and emulation!
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Denis wrote:Didn't do it in the slow cooker this time, but I just want to say that if you're making cottage pie, a glass of red wine and a handful of dried porcini mushrooms in the meat sauce take it from merely good to moreish.

Another glass or three of red wine for the chef is also not a bad idea.
Nearly all of my recipes have the same first line ingredients and instructions: Pour 8 ounces good red wine into cook.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
toad

Post by toad »

Boneless chicken thighs, they are less likely to overcook and you don't get that dark stuff that the supermarket the boned cheap supermarket thighs have.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Rumpshot wrote:Nearly all of my recipes have the same first line ingredients and instructions: Pour 8 ounces good red wine into cook.
We must have the same cookery book! :lol:
Greg

Post by Greg »

toad wrote:Boneless chicken thighs, they are less likely to overcook and you don't get that dark stuff that the supermarket the boned cheap supermarket thighs have.
Boneless chicken thighs are a great starting point for pretty much any recipe that features a sauce, or strong flavor.

Costco sells big pouches of boneless thighs and they're pretty cheap. We always have some in the freezer.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Denis wrote:Today's slow cooker dish was cod, prawn, clam, bacon and chive chowder (in other words, potato and onion soup with fish poached in it). It turned out really well!
Did you put the fish in at the beginning and it didn't overcook?
Denis

Post by Denis »

rightisright wrote:
Denis wrote:Today's slow cooker dish was cod, prawn, clam, bacon and chive chowder (in other words, potato and onion soup with fish poached in it). It turned out really well!
Did you put the fish in at the beginning and it didn't overcook?
I steamed the skinned and chopped potato, mashed it immediately with preheated milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg, then added the sauteed onions, bacon and fish all into the slow cooker. With the slow cooker on its lowest setting, and the fish added cold, but no longer frozen, the soup was hot after about 2 hours, the clams and prawns were hot, but not overdone, and the cod fillets had flaked down, which was actually rather nice. The only thing I would do differently next time is to liquidise the potato/milk mixture in a blender, for a smoother texture than I got by whisking it with an electric beater.