Slow Cooker Recipes

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
JAG2955

Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

Post by JAG2955 »

It's not 100% slow cooker, but after seeing it all over Facebook, I gave it a try tonight. Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAHgg_xmyJA&app=desktop

Hope that link works, I'm on my phone.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Link works, JAG. That looks delicious, thanks!
Denis

Post by Denis »

First Shirt wrote:Denis, they are $3.48 for an 8-pack at the Walmart in town. How many do you need?
You have mail! :D
Denis

Post by Denis »

Denis wrote:Link works, JAG. That looks delicious, thanks!
100% slow cooker - I reckon meat dishes of the braised variety really need the meat searing in a pan beforehand, otherwise the meat is stewed or boiled, not braised. Searing improves the flavour (thanks to the crusty and caramelised bits) and keeps the meat juices in the meat, instead of allowing them all to escape into the cooking liquid (which, conversely, is how to make soup).
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Re: searing first to seal in juices: Myth Smashed

Browning for flavor is an entirely different beast.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Rich Jordan wrote:Re: searing first to seal in juices: Myth Smashed

Browning for flavor is an entirely different beast.
Interesting! Thanks.

I did a venison ragout on Sunday. Cubed roe deer meat, two onions, a carrot, two cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of tomato paste, salt, pepper, harissa, Worcester sauce, soy sauce, beef stock and half a bottle of gone-flat Champagne left over from dinner on Friday. Browned the meat in a frying pan, and sautéed the onion, garlic and carrot. Got the whole lot up to a simmer in the pan, then transferred it to the preheated slow cooker.

After six hours on "low", it was mouthwateringly delicious, served with baby jacket potatoes and a salad. I am really pleased with my new utensil.
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Wife likes pork ribs in the crock pot. We put them in dry with just a salt based rub and leave it on high for about 4 hours. They actually brown that way as the meat falls off the bones. Sometimes I take them out just a bit sooner and finish them up on the grill. Yum.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Steamforger wrote:Any of the Louisiana folks ever done a gumbo in a slow cooker? It's getting good and snowy here and a nice hot gumbo with garlic bread and rice would go over very well at work.
Yes, and no. I don't "build" my gumbos in a crock pot because I'm sauteeing onions, bellpepper, and celery. And, it's hard to make a roux in a crock pot. But, I often put the gumbo in a crock pot to let it rest and keep it warm in the crock pot. LINKY HERE!!

Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Denis wrote:Just looking at the RH slow-cooker itself, I think it must be rather wasteful of energy. The construction is simple - an aluminium bowl, with a heating element and thermostat/switch unit, a ceramic bowl which fits into that, and a glass lid. However, there is absolutely no insulation on the exterior of the metal part, which gets hot to the touch - so much of the cooking energy must be wasted. I'll have to see about giving the slow cooker an insulating jacket - something fireproof, obviously. Ideas?
Knit a cozy? You seem to be a man of varied talents.

Get some pot holders and stitch together a sleeve?

Part out an old wool blanket and make a sleeve?

Run it in the sauna?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Denis

Post by Denis »

Weetabix wrote:
Denis wrote:Just looking at the RH slow-cooker itself, I think it must be rather wasteful of energy. The construction is simple - an aluminium bowl, with a heating element and thermostat/switch unit, a ceramic bowl which fits into that, and a glass lid. However, there is absolutely no insulation on the exterior of the metal part, which gets hot to the touch - so much of the cooking energy must be wasted. I'll have to see about giving the slow cooker an insulating jacket - something fireproof, obviously. Ideas?
Knit a cozy? You seem to be a man of varied talents.

Get some pot holders and stitch together a sleeve?

Part out an old wool blanket and make a sleeve?

Run it in the sauna?
The "fireproof" bit is bothering me. I think I need some of that stuff a bit like rockwool, that people wrap their backyard furnaces in. Must investigate.

Run it in the sauna? Nice idea, but I need all the bench space for cool beers and hot company :-)