Bracken's 3rd installment

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Bandito

Bracken's 3rd installment

Post by Bandito »

Looks like Foreign Enemies & Traitors is back from print and is shipping.
The Quiet Man

Re: Bracken's 3rd installment

Post by The Quiet Man »

I got my copy as soon as it was released. Excellent wrap up. Read the whole series!
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

The Quiet Man wrote:I got my copy as soon as it was released. Excellent wrap up. Read the whole series!
Guess I should have prepaid before the release to ensure I got one of the first off the presses. I sent my check off to Mr. Bracken today--it will take longer than ordering from Amazon, but in this case I'd prefer to deal directly.

There are quite a few reviews on Amazon already, and all highly positive--comments along the lines of "surpassed my expectations" and "the best of the trilogy" are common, though I frankly think it would be hard to beat the original Enemies: Foreign & Domestic.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Got it and finished it. I read "Patriots: A Novel of the Coming Collapse" immediately after. A few similarities. I did greatly enjoy FE&T greatly. It wrapped everything up quite nicely. For those of you who've read it, do you think that he did some editing after Urkel was elected?
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

Heh, his traitor President sure looked a lot like Obama, didn't he?
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

I'm glad the 3rd book ended on an upswing.

...and I'd like to take a brief moment out to say "Damn you, Matthew Bracken!" Your books were so well-written, so engrossing that I spent many nights up til 4AM reading, causing me to have only a few hours of sleep and feeling really groggy the next days.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
henrybowman

Post by henrybowman »

dfwmtx wrote:I'm glad the 3rd book ended on an upswing.

...and I'd like to take a brief moment out to say "Damn you, Matthew Bracken!" Your books were so well-written, so engrossing that I spent many nights up til 4AM reading, causing me to have only a few hours of sleep and feeling really groggy the next days.

Wish he would make a 4th one that wrapped everything up...
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

I read the first book, Enemies, Foreign and Domestic, and while waiting for the second made the mistake of reading Castigo Cay. What an amazingly tedious and pointless book.
Bracken indulges in copious detail of completely irrelevant plot points, describes plans of action that the characters never follow and develops characters who have nothing to do with the story.
I may look up books 2 & 3 sometime in the future, but only after those painful memories fade.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Any idea if these will ever be released on some kind of ebook format? My paper copies are stuck in storage.

And whichever in the series is printed with a red cover, I think it made a cameo appearance in an episode of 'Burn Notice'. I swear I saw the character Sam Axe (Bruce Campbell) holding a copy briefly in a scene.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia