"The Bear" on FX

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
HTRN

"The Bear" on FX

Post by HTRN »

Has anybody else seen it? Also to the forum members like Precision who have worked in professional kitchens, how realistic is the "atmosphere" of kitchen scenes? Because compared to working in machine shops, it's both more and less toxic(less screaming, because it would have gone to violence at that point, but that stunt with the missing personal knife? Yeah, I've literally threatened people at work In front of management no less, for touching my stuff), than my experience working in a machine shop.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Precision

Re: "The Bear" on FX

Post by Precision »

I have not watched it. But kitchens are very variable. Some are VIOLENT by nature although they don't tend to be fun places to work and tend towards not staying functional. Other kitchens have outbursts. What usually happened in the kitchens I was in was frontier justice for major infractions.

Lets say a person threw a chef's knife in the pot sink and left it there. Then the dishwasher sliced his hand up reaching in to get a pot. the offending knife hider was either stabbed back (violent kitchen) or given the choice of being fired or allowing the dishwasher to stab him so he would learn. Rarely happened twice as EVERYONE in the kitchen would warn any new guys.

For the record, kitchens I ran were never yelling kitchens. I am a very quiet angry. People came to FEAR me speaking slowly, firmly and biting then spitting out words. But again, once someone experienced it they tended to warn future potential offendees.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

Hollywood to the contrary - I'm sure there are some assholes, but as a general rule, you do better being supportive - LOTS of broken toys in food - and maintaining a positive work environment.

Being brutal on issues with "sticky fingers" and safety, are a given. If someone's stealing from another employee, they're also stealing from the company.
Precision

Post by Precision »

HTRN wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:47 pm Some clips:
https://youtu.be/QFKe3o_yCE0

https://youtu.be/1K3z62yoiOA
There is some tangential reality there.
A lot more intensity would happen, but for much bigger things. Thick skins are grown, but once pierce all hell breaks loose. Also competent people usually don't need micro managing and those who need to micro manage do it with a lot more frequency than that. in my experience.

I chose to hire competent and I don't micro manage
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Post by randy »

Those that can, lead

Those that can't, manage

Those that can't do either, micro-manage
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".