School Me On Ringo

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
skb12172

School Me On Ringo

Post by skb12172 »

Where do I start? Which series? Which one after that, etc.?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
randy

Re: School Me On Ringo

Post by randy »

The Legacy of the Aldenata Series (AKA the Posleen wars) would probably be best. His first books that got people reading. And fewer of the "Oh! John Ringo No!" moments. I didn't like the later books of the series (more covert ops/conspiracy/shadow ops than direct combat) as much as the earlier, but still good reads.

Basically : A Hymn Before Battle, Gust Front, When the Devil Dances, Hell's Faire are the primary books to start with.

The Black Tide Rising and Troy Rising series are good as well (with Troy Rising being set in the Schlock Mercenary universe, but well before the period of the comic)

I found the Paladin of Shadows series entertaining until the last couple seemed to have run out of ideas for "How can the Kildar and the Keldara kick ass in another part of the world?". Be warned, this series that got the "Oh! John Ringo No!" rolling.

He has collaborations and a couple of other short series out there, but these are the prime ones IMHO.

ETA: If you want to read a stand alone work that gives a feel for his writing, hard to go wrong with The Last Centurion
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

randy wrote:Basically : A Hymn Before Battle, Gust Front, When the Devil Dances, Hell's Faire are the primary books to start with.
+1
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Isn't the last centurion part of the Troy rising series?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

randy wrote:The Legacy of the Aldenata Series (AKA the Posleen wars) would probably be best. His first books that got people reading. And fewer of the "Oh! John Ringo No!" moments. I didn't like the later books of the series (more covert ops/conspiracy/shadow ops than direct combat) as much as the earlier, but still good reads.

Basically : A Hymn Before Battle, Gust Front, When the Devil Dances, Hell's Faire are the primary books to start with.

The Black Tide Rising and Troy Rising series are good as well (with Troy Rising being set in the Schlock Mercenary universe, but well before the period of the comic)

I found the Paladin of Shadows series entertaining until the last couple seemed to have run out of ideas for "How can the Kildar and the Keldara kick ass in another part of the world?". Be warned, this series that got the "Oh! John Ringo No!" rolling.

He has collaborations and a couple of other short series out there, but these are the prime ones IMHO.

ETA: If you want to read a stand alone work that gives a feel for his writing, hard to go wrong with The Last Centurion
I just about pissed myself reading that review and Ringo's response. I'm ashamed to admit I now want to read the entire series.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I particularly didn't like Kelldar or whatever it was. I thoroughly enjoyed the Posleen series and would also add Yellow Eyes to that list.

Watch on the Rhine was a good read despite intensely disliking some of the characters. I do think it answered a serious question in the world and situation he created. If you need every single veteran you can get your hands on to serve again, is any veteran off limits? The good bit is if you make it through the entire posleen series, the ending of Watch carries a certain satisfaction.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Isn't "The Last Centurian" part of the Rising Troy series?
toad

Post by toad »

Mr. Ringo reported that "The Last Centurion" was a book that kind of got away from him and kind of wrote itself. He avoids writing in the first person yet he wrote this in the first person and in a blog format. I think the events occurring at the time he wrote this book just kind of percolated out of his subconscious. It has been one of his best selling books.
I highly recommend it.
He reported that a lady fan wanted to meet his main character. He couldn't convincer that he wasn't using a false name for a real person.
My search skill are weak these days or I'd link to it.
randy

Post by randy »

skb12172 wrote:Isn't "The Last Centurian" part of the Rising Troy series?
As toad said, It's a standalone.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

If you liked Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series, Ringo has done two in that universe, Monster Hunter Memoirs: Grunge and Monster Hunter Memoirs: Sinners.

The third in that line, Saints, is I believe due out sometime this year.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus