The Iron Fist

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Jericho941

The Iron Fist

Post by Jericho941 »

I finished watching Netflix's latest Marvel superhero thing, and... well, it wasn't wasn’t bad, but I have to wonder what exactly they were thinking when they greenlit it.

“All right, time to write a new season about a full-of-himself, affluent, white martial artist who is trained with the express purpose of fighting the Hand. His parents are dead and this will keep coming up again and again. He has an Asian girlfriend who enjoys hurting other people. Along the way they wrestle with the moral dilemmas of revenge and killing. Claire tags along to patch them up and take the absolutist pacifist stance. This is complicated when a character almost as good at fighting as the protagonist shows up to fight the bad guys, only he doesn’t have any moral qualms about killing them.”

“So, Daredevil season 3?”

“What? NO! Iron Fist! He can see and his superpower is punching really hard.”

To be fair, Colleen Wing was way more interesting than Elektra. But overall I don't think it added much to this weird, intertwined universe.
Old Grafton

Re: The Iron Fist

Post by Old Grafton »

I guess with no background I say "WTF whatever, I wish y'all well....
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
randy

Post by randy »

Haven't watched it (don't have Netflix, nor any desire to), but) Larry Corriea's less than enthusiastic review is worth a read just for entertainment value even if you never heard of the show before now (Major Spoiler Alert!!)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Initially, I thought this would be about something else.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I was disappointed. Just bad, inconsistent writing.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I too felt it was a disappointment, and still havent finished the series..

Also, the idea of "You have been kidnapped, and must be rescued by a character from the last tv show you watched" sounds like agreat idea for a thread. :mrgreen:

I personally have been rewatching "Hulk and the agents of smash" :shock: :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

randy wrote:Haven't watched it (don't have Netflix, nor any desire to), but) Larry Corriea's less than enthusiastic review is worth a read just for entertainment value even if you never heard of the show before now (Major Spoiler Alert!!)
His review is right on. I am more inclined to blame the writers here than the actor, because he has a lot of inconsistent actions and dialog that really can't be helped by acting. It really seems like the writers didn't even talk to each other until each had written their bit, and then decided not to revise anything.

"All right, I've finished this scene where Danny meditates and centers himself, able to act as the Iron Fist again."
"But I need him to be a petulant man-child in the very next scene!"
"...meh, whatever. Do what you want."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Old Grafton wrote:I guess with no background I say "WTF whatever, I wish y'all well....
What he said.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Netpackrat wrote:
Old Grafton wrote:I guess with no background I say "WTF whatever, I wish y'all well....
What he said.
Thanks, both of you, for your contribution to this topic.