Hoax at St. Olaf's

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Vonz90

Hoax at St. Olaf's

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/32560/

I don't know if you have been following the Sturm und Drang at St. Olaf's - but yeah the thing that started all the protests and whatnot was a hoax.
skb12172

Re: Hoax at St. Olaf's

Post by skb12172 »

I don't even see the point in sending a kid to college anymore.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I think the interesting point is that the ones which are getting all of the riots over being soooo racist are the lefty schools. Go figure.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Meanwhile, the signs saying racist things about white people are being protected with cameras.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

skb12172 wrote:I don't even see the point in sending a kid to college anymore.
I fail to see how this is a relevant response to the story at hand, unless you think that colleges are the only institution that have to take anonymous threats seriously.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

It must be nice to live in your world. Did you miss the part about the SJW protests, the anti-white posters being posted and protected by the school? Of course you did.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Jericho941 wrote:
I fail to see how this is a relevant response to the story at hand, unless you think that colleges are the only institution that have to take anonymous threats seriously.
Average student takes 5 years to become $60k in debt to get a degree that is effectively worthless AND gets 5 years of leftist propaganda drilled in their brain.

The average skills trade takes 12 months a lot less cash and makes a lot more right out of the gate with room to grow. If I was 18 today. I would be choosing between a 4 year hitch in the military to learn a trade or going to trade school to learn a trade. Most likely machining, but plumbing or HVAC would figure high as well.

Public school is almost child abuse in the lower grades and not much far behind at most colleges especially if the student isn't in a STEM program.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Precision wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:
Average student takes 5 years to become $60k in debt to get a degree that is effectively worthless AND gets 5 years of leftist propaganda drilled in their brain.

The average skills trade takes 12 months a lot less cash and makes a lot more right out of the gate with room to grow. If I was 18 today. I would be choosing between a 4 year hitch in the military to learn a trade or going to trade school to learn a trade. Most likely machining, but plumbing or HVAC would figure high as well.

Public school is almost child abuse in the lower grades and not much far behind at most colleges especially if the student isn't in a STEM program.
Yes. This.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Precision wrote: The average skills trade takes 12 months a lot less cash and makes a lot more right out of the gate with room to grow. If I was 18 today. I would be choosing between a 4 year hitch in the military to learn a trade or going to trade school to learn a trade. Most likely machining, but plumbing or HVAC would figure high as well.

If I ever have kids and they want my help financially to go through school, it's either a trade school or the military.

I want them to study plumbing, HVAC, machining, mechanics, machining, nursing, or something like that. There really isn't a point to college any more.

If they want to go to college, well, they can do it on their own dime.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

skb12172 wrote:It must be nice to live in your world. Did you miss the part about the SJW protests, the anti-white posters being posted and protected by the school? Of course you did.
Weird, but
Jericho941 wrote:I fail to see how this is a relevant response to the story at hand, unless you think that colleges are the only institution that have to take anonymous threats seriously.
Seriously though, oh dear, they let students put up signs and shut things down for one day to let a scandal blow over. They were dealing with teenagers and early 20somethings, who are generally not known for their impulse control. They played this the right way.
Precision wrote:Average student takes 5 years to become $60k in debt to get a degree that is effectively worthless AND gets 5 years of leftist propaganda drilled in their brain.

The military is not a jobs program and I wish that myth would die. It's almost as bad as the "pressure your shitty kid you couldn't raise right to enlist, that'll fix 'em" myth. I did six years in the military. I learned some pretty sweet and specialized avionics knowledge. You know where that got me? Finding out my best prospects were going back to the Middle East, then waiting on Boeing for an extra 4 months after the interview to tell me "never mind, the Saudis aren't willing to commit to anything right now. Keep our number, yeah?" God help anyone who does a stint as a grunt or cop and wants to do anything but be private security for the rest of their life.

You don't need to join the military to learn a trade. Hell, in many jurisdictions if you want to be a cop, you need an IQ above room temperature and the ability to pass a mild PT test. The military trains you for the military, anything else is gravy. If you want to learn HVAC, welding, pipefitting, machining? Many civilian employers will avoid you because they know you're used to working for the government, so if you screw up and waste supply on an incredibly basic measurement mistake... well, you get yelled at. You don't get fired. Hell, if you want to do it for the military you don't even need to join. Just live near a base like PSNS, get hired by one of the companies that works there on a permanent basis, and not only will they pay you while you get on-the-job training, they will pay for your trade school. You can have an AS in welding and have a ton of certificates, all on the company's dime!

Outside of that... You wanna be a welder? Civil engineer? Just about any trade? There are subsidized loans for that. If you want to bet on the "sure thing," you can seize it and pay the loans back quickly if you live within your means, less if you grab scholarships. I would only tell people to join the military if they want to be in the military, which is what I did (while also believing the trade bullshit). Otherwise, go to trade school, get a job, and enjoy life while you're still young instead of being caught in some weird Billy Madison hellverse.
STEM's great but it's not the only way to get use out of your degree. (I say this as a current STEM major). Because, frankly, very smart material science guys, cyber-whatsits, math nerds and Dilbert-reading engineers often have a horrendously poor grasp of historiography (among other things) and think they don't need to because STEM. (There's nothing more frustrating than trying to explain to an aspiring engineer that a king marries for diplomacy reasons, not love; and no, a king cannot do whatever he wants because he is king). Liberal arts are necessary, just incredibly inflated due to the Boomer advice of "get a degree of any kind at all costs." Which, to be fair, actually worked for them. It just hasn't worked for the rest of us for quite awhile now.