The Exorcism in St Louis

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Vonz90

The Exorcism in St Louis

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/fait ... a7713.html

I have met Lutheran pastors who have performed exorcisms. Apparently the the boy in question was Lutheran but the pastor referred him to the Catholic church for the exorcism. All good I suppose but curious.

Apparently the current Pope had a Lutheran exorcist he would refer those in need to, so I guess it works both ways.
MarkD

Re: The Exorcism in St Louis

Post by MarkD »

I've known a couple of (Anglican) priests who've participated in exorcisms. The hard part is walking that fine line between "Everything is demonic possession" and "There's no such thing as demonic possession." Sometimes is "ordinary" mental illness, or the result of physical illness. Sometimes it's a demonic attack, but not possession. But yes, sometimes it's possession.

At my former church I did an adult-education class on demons and demonology, because the best trick Satan ever pulled was convincing most people he doesn't exist. You mess with demons at your own peril, they're not cute little buggers with tiny horns and pitchforks, any more than angels are little babies with wings and halos. Angels are God's warriors, and in the New Testament the first words an angel says to a human are usually "Don't be afraid." Oh, and demons are fallen angels, every bit as fearsome as their non-fallen counterparts.

To commit a slight thread-jack, my favorite description of an angel is from C.S. Lewis' Space trilogy (don't recall which volume). The angel was described as being a column of light passing thru the room from floor to ceiling. The column of light was on an angle to the floor, not straight up-and-down, but you got the distinct impression that the column was upright and it was the room that was tilted.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

yeah, Screwtape has got game...

I'll just leave this herefor you 70's rockers.. A little Keith Green for a morning wakeup
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I need to read the Space Trilogy.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!