Ringling Brothers Circus shutting down

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
First Shirt

Re: Ringling Brothers Circus shutting down

Post by First Shirt »

That's really a shame, I loved taking the grandkids to see it every time it came to Huntsville. They always had a great time, and I think I enjoyed it more than they did!

Best not to ask me what I think of the @$$wipes that beat them into shutting down.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

I got to speak with a man that works for a small circus that comes to town every year right about when that news went out. He said it was more than PETA harrasment and lawsuits. It was a number of things, rising costs, less interest and attention span from kids, etc. And they all combined to make Ringling Brothers an outfit that could no longer turn a profit. And of course, no profits, no circus.

Though he did say that once the elephants went, all those elements just snowballed faster.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

They used to come to my hometown every year. Are there any circuses left?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

skb12172 wrote: Are there any circuses left?
Well, yeah! Look at Federal, State and Local governments , the news media, and Hollwoodhole..... Clowns and jugglers, animal acts, fire-eaters and impersonators in drag everywhere !! :lol:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Greg

Post by Greg »

skb12172 wrote:They used to come to my hometown every year. Are there any circuses left?
Shriners?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

skb12172 wrote:They used to come to my hometown every year. Are there any circuses left?
Circ de solie? All those snotty leftist holier than thou acrobats so suoerior because no animals?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Precision

Post by Precision »

Windy Wilson wrote:
Circ de solie? All those snotty leftist holier than thou acrobats so suoerior because no NON HUMAN animals?
FIFY
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Denis

Post by Denis »

Precision wrote:
Windy Wilson wrote:
Circ de solie? All those snotty leftist holier than thou acrobats so suoerior because no NON HUMAN animals?
FIFY
Haha.

The Chinese State Circus is another one with only human performers. Fantastic. Definitely recommended, if anyone gets a chance to see it.