Oh for bogs sake BBC, give it a rest!

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
randy

Oh for bogs sake BBC, give it a rest!

Post by randy »

George Michael died yesterday, and ever since 1/2 to 2/3s of BBC World News has been devoted to looping stories about his life and career.

I don't have anything against him. Music was mildly annoying (I loved an Rolling Stone review that stated "If I hear Wake me Up before you Go Go one more time I'm getting a high powered rifle and a high tower") to light pop background noise.

But the BBC has gone full emo fan gurl over a lightweight B list pop music has-been. I'm guessing he must be a bigger deal in the UK, but I don't remember this level of coverage when Bowie died. (and such a level of coverage would still be excessive. More understandable, but still excessive)

He's dead. I get it. Now how about some actual new?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Denis

Re: Oh for bogs sake BBC, give it a rest!

Post by Denis »

Last Christmas....

Slow news day. GM even made it onto the German news, where nobody knows him anyway.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Posted this on my FB: "George Michael dead. That sucks.. kinda like him in a public restroom."

A few lib acquaintances weren't happy. Mission Accomplished!
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

There was a local radio DJ who said that if you told him your favorite album, he could tell you the year you lost your virginity.

I don't really have a favorite album. If I did, it probably wouldn't be George Michael. But, his music was popular in that phase of my life. His earlier pop "bubblegum" hits were better than average in their time and don't seem to be overplayed on classic rock stations as much as others of the same era.

I like his solo "jazzier" stuff. Kissing a Fool is one of my favorite songs.

But my favorite contribution to popular culture is Dana Carvey's impersonation of him on Saturday Night Live.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

Didn't much care for his music, but my college girlfriend liked to f*ck to "Careless Whispers". So, I had that going for me .... which was nice.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Apparently he was a huge philanthropist who didn't like to take credit for it.