Star Wars - Rogue One

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
User avatar
Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 6570
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:29 am

Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Denis » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Just watched this in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real throwback to the early movies, and it provides some nice backstory for them too. Lots of explosions, and plenty of little other-movie nods for the alert - I spotted at least Platoon, a View to a Kill, Alien(s) and Futurama, but might have to see it again to catch them all.

Recommended Christmas theatregoing...

User avatar
Darrell
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 6586
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:12 am
Location: Colorado

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Darrell » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:32 am

I didn't see the last Star Wars movie, and have little interest in this one. That said, how many times can they keep going to the well with Darth Vader and the Death Star???
Eppur si muove--Galileo

User avatar
dfwmtx
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1442
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:04 pm
Location: Hipster Hell, TX

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby dfwmtx » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:10 am

Spoiler! :
Everybody dies at the end.


I'm still amazed at how Hollywood can bring back the dead for movies. Brandon Lee, Paul Walker, Laurence Olivier; got a two-fer here.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia

Greg
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 8123
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: MO

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Greg » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:34 am

Darrell wrote:I didn't see the last Star Wars movie, and have little interest in this one. That said, how many times can they keep going to the well with Darth Vader and the Death Star???


Every time. Basically everything Star Wars is awesome if it makes some effective use of Vader at some point in his life, and sucks if it doesn't.

The Clone Wars cartoons (both of them, really) were unexpectedly good. At times, astonishingly good, with the same late adolescent Anakin who was so horrifically awful in II and III. They just used him better, made him a better, fuller, character.

And the Rebels cartoon, when Vader gets involved, has been good enough to make grown men cry. Season 2 finale.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr

User avatar
Cybrludite
Active Shooter
Posts: 4890
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:13 am
Location: Upper Volta, with shoggoths.
Contact:

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Cybrludite » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:55 pm

Vader vs. the Rebel redshirts was a definite "Oh crap!" moment for the good guys. I'd also add that the 3D version had no jarring "Look! We blew half our budget on this stupid effect! Are you not entertained?" moments.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.

Langenator
Loose Cannon
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Brazos County, TX

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Langenator » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Denis wrote:Just watched this in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real throwback to the early movies, and it provides some nice backstory for them too. Lots of explosions, and plenty of little other-movie nods for the alert - I spotted at least Platoon, a View to a Kill, Alien(s) and Futurama, but might have to see it again to catch them all.

Recommended Christmas theatregoing...


I detected a distinct note of Marvin the Paranoid Android in some of K2's lines, especially at the beginning. "But what do I know..."
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

User avatar
evan price
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:24 am
Location: OH-IO The heart of it all!

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby evan price » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:43 am

Langenator wrote:
Denis wrote:Just watched this in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real throwback to the early movies, and it provides some nice backstory for them too. Lots of explosions, and plenty of little other-movie nods for the alert - I spotted at least Platoon, a View to a Kill, Alien(s) and Futurama, but might have to see it again to catch them all.

Recommended Christmas theatregoing...


I detected a distinct note of Marvin the Paranoid Android in some of K2's lines, especially at the beginning. "But what do I know..."

K2 was the best character imho.
Voice actor was Alan Tudyk. Wash from Firefly.
Best star wars movie so far imho. But a Scooby doo ending was not in the cards and I liked that.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!

User avatar
blackeagle603
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 8968
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 am
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby blackeagle603 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:52 am

meh, saw it a second time today with the fam, this time I was rested and stayed awake almost all the way through.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story

User avatar
George guy
Loose Cannon
Posts: 945
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:53 pm
Location: State College, PA (Penn State's armpit)
Contact:

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby George guy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:46 am

I don't get why they had to digitally reanimate Peter Cushing, when Tarkin's voice actor could have managed an acceptable likeness with some makeup. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0377844/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t7
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'

Langenator
Loose Cannon
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Brazos County, TX

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Langenator » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:04 pm

The wife and I are still debating whether Princess Leia was Carrie Fisher or CGI.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus

User avatar
Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 6570
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:29 am

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Denis » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:22 pm

Langenator wrote:The wife and I are still debating whether Princess Leia was Carrie Fisher or CGI.


I think they used cutting room floor footage from the original film...

Langenator
Loose Cannon
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Brazos County, TX

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Langenator » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:47 pm

Fortuna Fortis Paratus

User avatar
Frankingun
Trigger Junkie
Posts: 1860
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:03 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Frankingun » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:31 am

Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.

User avatar
Mo K
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:33 am
Location: Boise, ID
Contact:

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Mo K » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:17 am

evan price wrote:
Langenator wrote:
Denis wrote:Just watched this in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real throwback to the early movies, and it provides some nice backstory for them too. Lots of explosions, and plenty of little other-movie nods for the alert - I spotted at least Platoon, a View to a Kill, Alien(s) and Futurama, but might have to see it again to catch them all.

Recommended Christmas theatregoing...


I detected a distinct note of Marvin the Paranoid Android in some of K2's lines, especially at the beginning. "But what do I know..."

K2 was the best character imho.
Voice actor was Alan Tudyk. Wash from Firefly.
Best star wars movie so far imho. But a Scooby doo ending was not in the cards and I liked that.


+1 (well, +2 counting Mr. Mo K) Oh, and Bill Whittle is talking about how much he enjoyed it as well, on his "The Stratosphere Lounge" tonight.

User avatar
Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:23 am

AlaskaTRX and I ended up not seeing it yet because his buddy's dog died. Not sure if there is a country song there or not.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

User avatar
Denis
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 6570
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:29 am

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Denis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 pm

A colleague and I decided we would go and see Rogue One again, this time in 3D, with her kids. Looking forward to it.

I saw "Passengers" in 3D yesterday. Thanks to the late afternoon / early evening viewing, I had an entire screen to myself in the cinema, which was a treat...

Truly superb visual and sound effects, and I enjoyed the movie itself too. It's more a love story (with overtones of Greek tragedy) than a space/adventure flic, and rather nicely done.

Spoiler! :
The ending was a bit twee, but that's Hollywood...

User avatar
HTRN
Probably Unemployed
Posts: 10758
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:05 am
Location: Under your bed with a knife
Contact:

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby HTRN » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:40 am

evan price wrote:Best star wars movie so far imho.

Better than Empire?! Unpossible.
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

John_in_Longview
Case Shiner
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby John_in_Longview » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:54 pm

I would rank Rogue One as the third best Star Wars movie, just ahead of Return of the Jedi.
Full Ranking:

01. A New Hope
02. The Empire Strikes Back

03. Rogue One
04. Return of the Jedi

05. The Clone Wars cartoons
06. Star Wars Rebels
07. The Kenner Star Wars action figure/toy commercials from the 70's and 80's

08. Revenge of the Sith
09. Attack of the Clones
10. The Star Wars Holiday Special (Not sure if this should be 8th or 10th)



11. The Phantom Menace

User avatar
Jericho941
Good Christ I Need A Life
Posts: 5141
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:30 am
Location: America

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Jericho941 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:02 pm


User avatar
Mo K
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:33 am
Location: Boise, ID
Contact:

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Postby Mo K » Thu May 25, 2017 4:54 am

I finally gave up my Saturn Sky Roadster (loved that car) for a sensible one suited to the foothills and snow (which was historic this recent winter): A Nissan Rogue. Well, duh-- of course "ROGUE 1" plate was taken -- probably in all 50 states. But "ROGUE 2" was available. And I know guys like you get the reference in an early scene from Empire (too bad Senesca bites the big one later). So I ordered that one and now Mr. Mo K wants "Rogue 3" (Wedge). I just got a couple of Rogue Squadron decals. He has a Nissan Xterra that currently has "ASHNAZG" for a plate. So he's decided to switch from Tolkien to Star Wars lore.

I'll say it:

Um....

We need a life! I think we're in good company, though. Nerds/geeks unite! ;)
:lol:


Return to “Culture Junkies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests