Star Wars - Rogue One

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Denis

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Post by Denis »

Langenator wrote:The wife and I are still debating whether Princess Leia was Carrie Fisher or CGI.
I think they used cutting room floor footage from the original film...
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Mo K

Post by Mo K »

evan price wrote:
Langenator wrote:
Denis wrote:Just watched this in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. A real throwback to the early movies, and it provides some nice backstory for them too. Lots of explosions, and plenty of little other-movie nods for the alert - I spotted at least Platoon, a View to a Kill, Alien(s) and Futurama, but might have to see it again to catch them all.

Recommended Christmas theatregoing...
I detected a distinct note of Marvin the Paranoid Android in some of K2's lines, especially at the beginning. "But what do I know..."
K2 was the best character imho.
Voice actor was Alan Tudyk. Wash from Firefly.
Best star wars movie so far imho. But a Scooby doo ending was not in the cards and I liked that.
+1 (well, +2 counting Mr. Mo K) Oh, and Bill Whittle is talking about how much he enjoyed it as well, on his "The Stratosphere Lounge" tonight.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

AlaskaTRX and I ended up not seeing it yet because his buddy's dog died. Not sure if there is a country song there or not.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

A colleague and I decided we would go and see Rogue One again, this time in 3D, with her kids. Looking forward to it.

I saw "Passengers" in 3D yesterday. Thanks to the late afternoon / early evening viewing, I had an entire screen to myself in the cinema, which was a treat...

Truly superb visual and sound effects, and I enjoyed the movie itself too. It's more a love story (with overtones of Greek tragedy) than a space/adventure flic, and rather nicely done.

[spoiler]The ending was a bit twee, but that's Hollywood...[/spoiler]
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote:Best star wars movie so far imho.
Better than Empire?! Unpossible.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

I would rank Rogue One as the third best Star Wars movie, just ahead of Return of the Jedi.
Full Ranking:

01. A New Hope
02. The Empire Strikes Back

03. Rogue One
04. Return of the Jedi

05. The Clone Wars cartoons
06. Star Wars Rebels
07. The Kenner Star Wars action figure/toy commercials from the 70's and 80's

08. Revenge of the Sith
09. Attack of the Clones
10. The Star Wars Holiday Special (Not sure if this should be 8th or 10th)

11. The Phantom Menace
Mo K

Post by Mo K »

I finally gave up my Saturn Sky Roadster (loved that car) for a sensible one suited to the foothills and snow (which was historic this recent winter): A Nissan Rogue. Well, duh-- of course "ROGUE 1" plate was taken -- probably in all 50 states. But "ROGUE 2" was available. And I know guys like you get the reference in an early scene from Empire (too bad Senesca bites the big one later). So I ordered that one and now Mr. Mo K wants "Rogue 3" (Wedge). I just got a couple of Rogue Squadron decals. He has a Nissan Xterra that currently has "ASHNAZG" for a plate. So he's decided to switch from Tolkien to Star Wars lore.

I'll say it:

Um....

We need a life! I think we're in good company, though. Nerds/geeks unite! ;)
:lol: