Greg Lake RIP

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Darrell

Greg Lake RIP

Post by Darrell »

This may not ring a bell with some members, but guitarist Greg Lake passed away of cancer on Wednesday. He was 69 years old. Lake was the guitarist with King Crimson and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, seminal '70s progressive rock bands. He was quite the artist.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38251936
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Old Grafton

Re: Greg Lake RIP

Post by Old Grafton »

Oooh, what a lucky man he was......damn.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Mo K

Post by Mo K »

I always liked "I Believe in Father Christmas". And I can't believe until only recently that I didn't know Lake was the main voice of "Asia", arguably an underappreciated conglomerate band. I had two of their albums but obviously wasn't paying attention as to who the members were. :oops:
randy

Post by randy »

Mo K wrote:I always liked "I Believe in Father Christmas". And I can't believe until only recently that I didn't know Lake was the main voice of "Asia", arguably an underappreciated conglomerate band. I had two of their albums but obviously wasn't paying attention as to who the members were. :oops:
Mo, check out this Asia in Asia concert from 1983.

It was broadcast live on MTV and one of the local FM radio stations simulcast it in stereo. Imagine that, stereo music while watching a live concert on TV! :shock: :mrgreen:

I still have the cassette I recorded from the stereo.

(old school, or just old? :mrgreen: )
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

You can look up the history if you like, Asia was one of the first, if not the first, of the supergroups. Asia got its start with the demise of the group UK, itself something of a supergroup. Asia's first album was a huge hit, not to be outdone by any of their later albums. They certainly made a huge splash at the time. Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and the group Yes, were two of my favorites back in the '70s, and huge influences on my musical tastes to this day.

If you've never heard of UK, give their first album a listen, it rocks. None of their later works compared, much like Asia's work. As for Greg Lake and ELP, you might have heard that Emerson died fairly recently; he in fact took his own life. Sad.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Mo K

Post by Mo K »

check out this Asia in Asia concert from 1983.

It was broadcast live on MTV and one of the local FM radio stations simulcast it in stereo. Imagine that, stereo music while watching a live concert on TV! :shock: :mrgreen:

I still have the cassette I recorded from the stereo.
Thanks for that blast from the past, Randy! That cassette must have some good oxidation by now. ;)
If you've never heard of UK, give their first album a listen, it rocks.
Cool, Darrell. I will definitely check them out!