Just what I need, another costuming club.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Cybrludite

Just what I need, another costuming club.

Post by Cybrludite »

This past weekend at one of our local sci-fi conventions, I found out that there's a fan group dedicated to costuming as G.I. Joe characters, The Fightin' 788th. As soon as I have my Cobra Trooper costume together, I'll post a pic here. On the plus side, it should be cheaper than the Royal Manticoran Navy or the steampunk garb. :lol: Most of the props, I already have.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
HTRN

Re: Just what I need, another costuming club.

Post by HTRN »

You know, somebody ought to crash one of their events as one of the characters from aft :lol: bonus points for bringing a.honey badger. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Go as Major Bludd!

"Roses are red, violets are blue" *BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG* "-Sorry, that wasn't meant for you."
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

SoupOrMan wrote:Go as Major Bludd!

"Roses are red, violets are blue" *BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG* "-Sorry, that wasn't meant for you."
Im sorry but jungle is kinda hard to top. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

You should LARP.

Which is normally a terrible thing to say to someone, but it looks like you just need to get it out of your system already.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Greg wrote:You should LARP.

Which is normally a terrible thing to say to someone, but it looks like you just need to get it out of your system already.
Nah, the main LARP groups here are the SCA and the Vampire: The Masquerade folks. I'm too busted up to be a stick-jock anymore and got bored with the Vampire stuff back in the nineties. :lol:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Cybrludite wrote:
Greg wrote:You should LARP.

Nah, the main LARP groups here are the SCA and the Vampire: The Masquerade folks. I'm too busted up to be a stick-jock anymore and got bored with the Vampire stuff back in the nineties. :lol:
Interesting. Around there I would have thought there'd be more.

Where I went to school there was an official club for LARP, and in the area there were several groups that ran different games.

Had a friend who was into it, some of his in-game stories were genuinely hilarious. He was crazy, but he was a good guy and a good friend.

There also tend to be smoking hot chicks in the LARP world. I was once involved with one of them. She wrecked me. I didn't know until afterward that she was bipolar. Explained some things. Was once out to eat with some people I knew, and her name came up in conversation. A guy who'd also been involved with her.... his only reaction on hearing her name was to bang his head on the table.

Anyway, I don't do that stuff and don't recommend it for most people, because there's too much crazy involved. Some of it absolute batshit. But for those with certain inclinations, there's really no substitute.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

Cybrludite wrote:... got bored with the Vampire stuff back in the nineties. :lol:
So start an MHI group. That should liven up interactions with Vampire group! :mrgreen:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I find myself somewhat attracted to groups like these, but it always seems like 2/3 of the group takes it too seriously and the other 2/3 doesn't take it seriously enough.

The Scarlett and Baroness ladies are pretty hot though:
scarlett.jpg
baroness.jpg
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

randy wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:... got bored with the Vampire stuff back in the nineties. :lol:
So start an MHI group. That should liven up interactions with Vampire group! :mrgreen:
Honestly, if you want lulz, Hellsing abridged has better possibilities.