Canceled Netflix

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
toad

Canceled Netflix

Post by toad »

I just got tired of current movies and tv. Standardized plots for almost all of it. They have some old stuff that is watchable but too much is only available on DVD's. I'd rather read a book these days.
g-man

Re: Canceled Netflix

Post by g-man »

Most of the movies I wanted to watch were only available through their DVD mailer system, at additional cost, so I dumped them a while back. We have cable because I can't get my wife to let go of the local news and a couple of network shows. But I'd drop that like a sack of potatoes if I got the chance. With the exception of Mythbusters and the new Muppets, pretty much everything currently on television just annoys me.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

We dumped cable a few years ago. I convinced my wife by telling her she could have (monthly cable bill - $10) as a DVD allowance to buy shows she actually likes on disk. We have gobs now.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Precision

Post by Precision »

we recently dropped cable ($158 per month).

We now have 100 Mb internet $49 per month, plus Roku 3 with Sling ($20/month), The Blaze ($9/month), Amazon prime (not additional cost as we already have Prime) and NetFlix ($8 / month). So for $86 per month we are getting most of the Channels we used to watch(including lots of local stuff) (Sling) and a source of Conservative News and opinion pieces (The Blaze) and lots of shows and movies on demand.

Only in month 2, but we don't miss cable at all and we save almost half.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

I would like to dump direct tv. We get unlimited internet data at 15MB speeds for $65/mo. I think this may be possible. What bugs me is that the new tv we just got is connected to our wifi and the LG privacy page is more like a small book. It seems the tv collects data on everything.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

McClarkus wrote:It seems the tv collects data on everything.
"In Soviet Union, TV watches you."
I haven't had cable since the late 1990s, nor TV as such since they departed analog broadcasts.
I miss it like I miss the flu.
And my DVD/BD collection is now about 8'x8' of shelves, allowing me to watch just about anything I want, whenever I want.
Anything else requires only a trip to the multiplex, or some net surfing.
The only two shows I'm still following are The Big Bang Theory and The Last Ship.
Along with the installments of Jesse Stone, which come out wheneverinhell Tom Selleck feels like making another one.
TBBT is released every year on disc, and when I wanted to watch the second season of TLS, even though it hadn't been released on disc yet, it took about a minute and a half of internet clicking to get every episode in their entirety, and free. Which will do until the disc does come out.

Cable, you say?
Cable what, sez I.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Denis

Post by Denis »

We dumped cable TV when the local monopoly switched the German public-service channels that Mrs Denis watches to its premium package. One satellite dish later and we have those plus a whole load of other FTA stuff. We kept the cable connection, but only for telephony and high-speed internet access.

I rarely watch real TV anymore, since I can choose what I watch on YouTube: I just discovered the Royal Institution channel - absolutely brilliant!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I think I may be the only one here who's never had cable.. :|

But then, I live in the largest TV market in the country, something likeep 40 channelso over the air..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

HTRN wrote:I think I may be the only one here who's never had cable.. :|

But then, I live in the largest TV market in the country, something likeep 40 channelso over the air..
40 channels over the air, hmmm. That's part of the problem here since I can't even get one. I put a new antenna on a 40" pole and aimed it at Cheyenne Mountain and still couldn't pull in even one. No telling what else is flying through the air around here but TV isn't one of them.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I have not had cable in many years, since 2004 or so. I have used satellite and it is a much better package/price/service. No cable where I live even if I wanted it (or DSL / U-verse either)

The wife has her shows that she likes, for me I rarely watch TV other than Navy football (which I can now watch almost all of their games vs. when I first got out of the Nav. it was like 2 or 3 a year on TV tops).

In the summer I like to put the Cardinals game on, I don't usually watch it all but I like having it on in the background.

For internet we have to use the wireless internet (basically the same as your phone). It is not bad but nasty expensive.