Canceled Netflix

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
toad

Re: Canceled Netflix

Post by toad »

SoupOrMan wrote:The only reason I would get cable or satellite is to watch live sports.

Well, one, because dead sports are kind of boring.

The other would be because I was tired of just listening to the games on the radio. I can also do other stuff while listening to the game, so advantage radio. I get all the baseball games I via the league app on my phone, terrestrial radio and satellite radio. It's the same with hockey and football. The only games I watch right now are soccer, and that's because I watch domestic teams through MLS Live online and YouTube for the minor league of which St. Louis is a part.

Seriously, if they started broadcasting MeTV over the air I might get a TV and proper antenna. Right now I'm spending $75 per month including internet access. Not bad compared to $220-250 per month for internet plus 200 channels that I wouldn't watch.
And now for the dead sports trained vulture show, a speed eating contest. Today's baits are dead Jihad's mixed with crippled politicians, served over toast.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Weetabix wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote:Seriously, if they started broadcasting MeTV over the air I might get a TV and proper antenna.
You should check. We get it over the air, and I think the antenna was about $15. Aiming the antenna is the issue, though.
Antenna, mast, motor, party.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Okay, now this has me thinking... is a retractable antenna tower a feasible idea? I'd need to find a way to keep the antenna cable for snarling when the mast is lowered, but I'd like to have a 30' main tower with maybe another 20-30' of retractable mast.

I'd love to see if I could get any St. Louis or Bloomington stations in from here.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

SoupOrMan wrote:Okay, now this has me thinking... is a retractable antenna tower a feasible idea?
Sure, for certain values of the word "feasible". Look at amateur radio sites for "crank-up" towers.

(Here and here for instance)

...depending on your budget
I'd like to have a 30' main tower with maybe another 20-30' of retractable mast
... depending on how far you are from the nearest airfield

... depending on local zoning regulations
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Trust me, if there are aircraft coming in at 50 feet above my house, the pilot has made a grievous error in his choice of landing sites.