Time To Leave A Job

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
skb12172

Time To Leave A Job

Post by skb12172 »

I could have written this article from my experiences of a few years ago. When regional execs started bailing, I began to look elsewhere. By the time I had an offer in hand, the CEO announced he was leaving. I took my remaining sick days, all of my vacation, and filed a letter of resignation effective on what would have been my first day back. 2 1/2 months later, the entire company folded. Some of the ridiculous and arbitrary rules included no more birthday potlucks, which had been a MAJOR part of the company culture. It's all hilarious in retrospect.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16676_6- ... er_p2.html
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Frankingun

Re: Time To Leave A Job

Post by Frankingun »

Another sign is when your company's CEO kills himself after having an affair with his hot secretary, and the replacement CEO\figurehead gets to work from home 200 miles away.

Happened to me.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Greg

Post by Greg »

When I learned that the sales guys were getting bonuses for sales on which the company was taking losses.

As an extra helping of shit in the sandwich, the engineering team was then required to put in fuckloads of unpaid overtime doing otherwise useless one-off work to live up to promises sales had made as part of those money-losing sales.

Yes the company had some serious issues including massive layoffs and was acquired (likely at a fire sale price) shortly after I left.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

From the comments..
Here's one that didn't make the list: the "get tough" speech. The boss calls everybody together and says, in effect, "We're in trouble here and it's because of you lazy, irresponsible slackers." Then you get the three pages of "thou shalt no longers" mentioned in #1 above. This is usually combined with the appearance of new leads you've never seen before, hired from somewhere else, and they are total jerks. (Like, seriously the worst, sickest human beings you've ever seen.) And suddenly coworkers start disappearing, sometimes over lunch, sometimes walking straight off the floor after shouting an obscenity, right in front of the whole crew. You never find out why, or are even told they're gone (unless it happens in front of you).

And then the plant either closes or is bought out by another company and the whole floor is fired.

The above article seems to be written from the perspective of middle management, white collar, clean-hands types, so that may account for the difference in death-throe style. But I assure you, in a blue collar job, it happens like this. (At least in a non-union shop.)
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Frankingun wrote:Another sign is when your company's CEO kills himself after having an affair with his hot secretary, and the replacement CEO\figurehead gets to work from home 200 miles away.
I have a supplier who's owner/CEO has been running his factory in Orange County by Skype, from Costa Rica. Apparently, harder for him to get coke down there so it's probably a net win to have him not high all the time. Been going on several years now. The effect on the business ebbs and flows . They're going back into a recovery cycle now as it's gotten messy again. So, he's pulled an old hand who's been concentrating on outside sales back in to the factory for the first couple hours each day to run the daily Ops meeting and act as GM. Then when the factory starts to run better and outside sales start to suffer as a result they'll revert to having her in the field fulltime. Lather, rinse, repeat.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Thanks for that.
Where were you a couple years back, when I could have used it??
"I hope you'll all welcome Jennie Thurber. She's visiting to take a look around for us and offer some perspective to management. Give her any help you can. Thanks!"
Actual briefing: "Hey, these folks are outside consultants who'll be watching the department to see where we can improve things."

And just like in poker, when you can't figure out who the mark at the table is, it's you.

Remember this mantra:
"I love my company. I love my job. I love my co-workers."
When asked about ideas, tell them "No, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm really looking forward to what you folks come up with!"
If you can sell it with smiling enthusiasm, so much the better.

Then go home, update your resume, and nail down a part-time extra job or home/weekend business revenue-stream immediately.

Alternatively, take a ski mask and gun to work, and take them all out one night in the parking structure. Dump the bodies where they won't be found for years, if ever. Swamps, deserts, and oceans are good for this. Have an alibi. Act innocent if the topic of their disappearance comes up.

Then go home, update your resume, and nail down a part-time extra job or home/weekend business revenue-stream immediately.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

My employer of 31+ years is circling the drain. Our corporate owner of 16 years pulled every profitable bit of our production and moved it out of state, then sold the property out from under us, and sold the husk of the company to some "equity partners". We wound up having a so-so year (Xmas is our busy season), things have since slowed down. We were informed yesterday that we are going to four day/32 hour weeks until further notice. We have some months to leave the property, we've seen no movement at all. I suspect they're going to liquidate the business. I'd hoped to be able to retire from the place, about all I can hope for now is to ride it into the ground, then take unemployment. I can draw SS in December. Pity, we were once a rocking place, did several hundred million a year in business. We couldn't keep up with the times, I guess.
Eppur si muove--Galileo