College Grad = F*cktard

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Aesop

College Grad = F*cktard

Post by Aesop »

It's far worse than you thought:
Nearly 10% of college graduates surveyed in a poll believe Judith Sheindlin, aka "Judge Judy," serves on the Supreme Court.

It also found that almost 60% of college graduates couldn't correctly identify a requirement for ratifying a constitutional amendment and 40% of college graduates didn't know that Congress has the power to declare war.

Additionally, the poll revealed that less than 50% of college graduates surveyed know that presidential impeachments are tried before the U.S. Senate.

Link

Proof, if you needed it, that over 50% of college students shouldn't even be there, and that far more than 50% of college faculty (probably upwards of 80% outside the hard sciences) are incapable of educating anyone on anything, being functional morons themselves, albeit with advanced degrees.

This is stuff that a junior or senior in high school would have been expected to rattle off less than a generation ago, and information not unknown to any number of brighter middle school students.

Apparently, out of pity, they didn't administer the survey in question to actual tenured college faculty, at least not knowingly.

The cost and benefit inflation that's invaded post-secondary education via Big Government has undeniably reached the point where the bubble has to burst; letting government pay for college has merely caused tuition to rise at orders of magnitude faster than outside inflation, saddling students with debt they'll never pay off in most cases, thus legalizing indentured servitude, and provided full employment for a generation of retarded hippies at thousands of unneeded and essentially worthless institutions of non-learning. And the difference between pay-for-play diploma mills and Harvard or Sanford is not really measurable with existing instrumentation. If you or anyone you know is college-bound despite these facts, at least plead with them to get their credits cut-rate, at the local community junior college "13th Grade", rather than buying them retail for upwards of $40K/year. There's no sense whatsoever in buying your BS gold-plated, at full mark-up.

Clearly, sheepskins from anywhere would be more valuable these days if they were printed on actual sheepskin. And the current ones, even from top colleges, would be more useful if they were printed on perforated sheets of Charmin.

But with these results, it's doubtful a plurality of college graduates know what to do with a roll of toilet paper if you handed it to them.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
dfwmtx

Re: College Grad = F*cktard

Post by dfwmtx »

I may not have studied statistics in college, but I know enough not to trust information gleamed from polls at face value. Data can be massaged, questions can be asked in a way that skews answers. Were these kids asked "Is Judge Judy on the Supreme Court?" or were they asked "Is Judith Sheindlin on the Supreme Court?" If the first question was asked, I'm sure you would've gotten a 99% no rate. If the second question was asked, yes, I can see 100 people out of the thousand selected for the poll (and whom for some reason chose to do it or couldn't duck out of doing it) guessing wrongly. And doesn't mean the other 900 knew for certain she wasn't a Supreme Court justice; I'm sure most don't know the names of everyone on the bench and they just guessed. But "OMG, 10% of these people r fuckin' stoopid!" gets more people reading than "90% of the people polled answered correctly", and as we should all know, eyes reading clickbait articles means more advertising money for the websites running them.
I consider articles like this no better than the stupid "poll a random person on the street and play back the answers of the wrong & stupid" bits you see on late night talk shows. But hey, if you need something to buoy up an anti-college bias, go for it!
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I have no anti-college bias, rather exactly the opposite.
But what's been passing for a college education for some decades is clearly a wagonload of horseshit, and selling for $100-200K, it's some rather pricy horseshit at that.

And if you read even the article excerpt, you knew this isn't based on one "Judge Judy" question.
That was merely the depths of the ignorance on parade, as the abysmally low percentage of correct answers to the other basic civics questions amply demonstrated.

The actual question was
Q1: Which of the following people serves on the Supreme Court?
a. Elena Kagan
b. Lawrence Warren Pierce
c. John Kerry
d. Judith Shiendlin
e. refused to answer
You might find it more noteworthy that among college graduates, nearly 22% wrongly selected b. Lawrence Warren Pierce, a 91-y.o. retired Second Circuit federal judge, as a member of SCOTUS, along with the 5% who wrongly named SecState John Kerry to SCOTUS as well.

So perhaps the headline "37% of college graduates have no fucking idea who's on the Supreme Court" would be more to your liking. :lol:
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Aesop wrote:So perhaps the headline "37% of college graduates have no fucking idea who's on the Supreme Court" would be more to your liking. :lol:
Yes, because that would've been more accurate. And because "37% of those polled don't recognize Elena Kagan as a Supreme Court justice" is a lot more damning than "100 people out of 1,000 think Judge Judy serves on the Supreme Court" (of course is, she sits right next to judge Jerry N. Executioner....IN BIAZARRO WORLD). But like I said, some journos like to write clickbait articles highlighting the dumbest of the dumb, they won't go into the details found in poll reports.
And I'm still not going to extrapolate an opinion on the validity of college education based off 1,000 people. It'd be like questioning the skills of brain surgeons everywhere just because Ben Carson thinks the pyramids were used for grain storage instead of a cool way to pile up rocks in honor of your dead king.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

dfwmtx wrote:And I'm still not going to extrapolate an opinion on the validity of college education based off 1,000 people.
Then you lack a background grasp of statistics, as you previously stated.
Following up with a non-sequitur about Ben Carson doesn't help your case - the pyramids were used for grain storage: for the Pharaoh, on his journey to/in the afterlife.
And if all college is, is a trade/technical school, they can teach surgery to barbers. And Aztec priests. BTDT. You could look it up.

But you're missing the bigger point: No one's saying an actual college education is bad.
Just reporting with painful obviousness that few of those claiming such an honor are likely to have received one.

I can print a diploma from Harvard for 85 cents at Kinko's/FedEx.
The point of the story is that it will evidently be worth just about as much as the real one, costing $250K.
A quarter-mil is a lot of money to spend to have only a 16% chance of being any smarter than a dropout without even a GED.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

None of this is anything new. I recall when I was in high school a cartoon showing a guy in cap and gown holding a piece of paper to his father and saying "My college diploma Dad! Read it to me?"

And I was woefully under informed about current events in college. I was training to be a computer programmer, and nothing else mattered to me. College kids, unfortunately can vote and lately DO vote, which explains the last two elections.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I've got a BA in Political Science, with a bunch of SCOTUS/ConLaw classes, an MA in American history, and I follow politics and SCOTUS a good bit more than most folks, and I don't think I can name all of the SCOTUS Justices.

Thomas, Scalia, Alito, Roberts, Sotomayor, and that old bitch that all the libs want to retire/die before Obama's term ends. Is Kennedy still there? I wouldn't have gotten Kagan if she wasn't mentioned in this thread, and I'm still short at least one.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Termite

Post by Termite »

I don't expect Joe or Jane Sixpack to name the nine SCOTUS members.

I DO expect them to name the 3 branches of government, how many terms POTUS can serve, who their US Senators are, their US Representative, and who is their state Governor.
This is very basic civics, and used to be taught in HS all across the USA. Even in my little HS in BFE Backwoods Louisiana, 1/2 year of civics and 1/2 year of free enterprise was REQUIRED for graduation.
If the sons and daughters of redneck Skoal dipping pulp wood cutters & haulers, with no cell phones, computers, or WWW, could learn civics well enough in 1981 to graduate, there is no excuse for HS graduates today. And certainly not any that are attending colleges today.
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aesop wrote:But you're missing the bigger point: No one's saying an actual college education is bad.
That's if you can still find one anywhere these days.

My daughter's taking a requisite computer course this semester. Most of it consists of writing small essays about popular social issues. She jokingly offered to pay me to take it, but after she described what's involved, we decided she'd do better at it since she's hearing the crap they want her to parrot.

She told me she does it by, "Type, type, type," then a short mental break of, "Disbelieve! Disbelieve! Disbelieve!" Then more, "Type, type, type."
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
BDK

Post by BDK »

Part of this is, at least, 50% of colleges should be closed, if not 90%.

I don't mean merely by majors - I'm sure there's some value in a journalism degree from Northwestern, etc - I mean that the schools, in general, are of such a poor level of rigor, that they are closer to a scam than a legitimate non-profit.