College Grad = F*cktard

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Greg

Re: College Grad = F*cktard

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote:
Old Grafton wrote:
Denis wrote: Suggests to me both (a) the pre-college school system isn't much good and (b) many people go to college who shouldn't, because they can't benefit from it. They should probably learn a trade or skill instead.
That's exactly the problem. Government loans and helicopter parents are putting butts in overpriced overrated seats when those butts should be standing around a plumbing or wiring or carpentry or welding instructor instead. We have shit-tons too many folk whose only skill is an obscene familiarity with a qwerty keyboard. Advanced auto mechanics can earn more than college professors--and deserve to do so. One young man who used to work for me earned a Bachelor of Physics from Ohio State--and finally found employment as a bank loan officer. Still that's better than the hiring rate for those with degrees in Womyn's Studies or Afrocentric Cultural History.
Working in banking is not necessary a bad think. STEM majors get sucked onto a lot of non STEM fields because employers are figuring out that problem analysis and solving skills are almost always universally applicable.
I know a bunch of folks who have left engineering for finance, because you get paid better and shit on less.

I believe the original GI Bill was a terrible, terrible mistake and was done deliberately to throw giant boatloads of money, influence and prestige to the liberal-higher education complex. No accident that Woodrow Wilson's and FDR's presidencies represented the tentative beginnings and firm conclusion of an Ivy League coup.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I'm rather more inclined to believe the university-academic complex as we know it today came about as a result of the G.I. Bill, rather than the Bill being designed to throw money at it.

However, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the G.I.Bill's lowering of the financial bar to attend college may have well resulted in the lowering of admission standards to accomodate everyone who wanted to spend the money.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Termite wrote:I don't expect Joe or Jane Sixpack to name the nine SCOTUS members.

I DO expect them to name the 3 branches of government, how many terms POTUS can serve, who their US Senators are, their US Representative, and who is their state Governor.
Honestly they move the congressional districts around so much It's hard to remember who my congresscritter is. I'm reasonably certain it's Matt Salmon though.

Our Senators are McStain and McStain Jr, er... Jeff Flake. (In fairness, he's not nearly as bad as Jon Kyle was)