13 Hours

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Aesop

13 Hours

Post by Aesop »

This is a damned good flick.

The last time you saw something done this well was Blackhawk Down by Ridley Scott (funny how most American military misadventures always seem to have a Clinton's sticky fingerprints somewhere around the body count).

Michael Bay avoids going completely over the top with effects, and restrains himself with making what is simply an outstanding men-under-fire study. Shot in Malta, which provides a great stand-in for Libya without any of the ISIS problems, it feels right and looks right. And former Seal/associate producer Harry Humphries kept things from going too Hollywood.

Bay doesn't pull any punches, but he also didn't trot out and club you to death with shots of HopeyDopey nodding off during his intel briefing, or Shrillary saying "F--- 'em!" in the WH Sit Room as our guys died, but he doesn't have to: characters noting that the Pentagon had the same video they had in real time, JSOC ninjas sitting on the ground in Italy, and American F-16s sitting idle on the ramp told a thousand words of that story with single pictures.

You won't see this one up for any Oscars next year, because it damns all the wrong sorts of people, and upholds all the right virtues.
But this 2 hours and 20 minutes of cinema will do as much to put the final nail into Shrillary's presidential aspirations as the multi-count indictments will.

Even aside from that, you should go see this movie for its own sake, because it's that good, and not just to rub Hollywood's nose in what it should have been doing onscreen for the last 20 years, by supporting movies that set liberal jackholes' teeth on edge. That'll just be icing on the cake.
Buying a ticket to see this one is like getting a coupon for one free hippie punch.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Denis

Re: 13 Hours

Post by Denis »

Thanks!

I'm curious as to whether they got official support from the military (Pentagon's entertainment office) for making that movie. Did you happen to notice in the credits?
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I am flatly amazed that they made this movie, this year. I'd have thought the Clintoons would have squashed it like a bug.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aesop wrote:You won't see this one up for any Oscars next year, because it damns all the wrong sorts of people, and upholds all the right virtues.
But this 2 hours and 20 minutes of cinema will do as much to put the final nail into Shrillary's presidential aspirations as the multi-count indictments will.
I haven't seen it, but I doubt it will do much to quash her unless people who recognize reality persuade some fence sitters to see it with them. The Hillarites won't go see it on their own because their eyes are firmly shut, but if they do go see it, they'll come out angry at the vast right wing conspiracy.
Even aside from that, you should go see this movie for its own sake, because it's that good, and not just to rub Hollywood's nose in what it should have been doing onscreen for the last 20 years, by supporting movies that set liberal jackholes' teeth on edge. That'll just be icing on the cake.
Buying a ticket to see this one is like getting a coupon for one free hippie punch.
Now, sticking a finger in Hollywood's eye, I can go along with! :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I'm not sure I will be able to watch it without having a stroke.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I am becoming more convinced that the fence sitters are not as large of a group as I used to think, and that they don't really decide elections. In recent years at least they don't.

More and more it seems that the ones that win the elections are the ones that get their base to actually show up. Getting them to show up seems to be mostly about convincing them they need to vote against the other guy. Like Weet noted above, a movie like this could actually get lefties out to polls to vote against the right-wing conspiracy.

Are politics getting nastier or an I am I just getting old and jaded?
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Weetabix wrote: I haven't seen it, but I doubt it will do much to quash her unless people who recognize reality persuade some fence sitters to see it with them. The Hillarites won't go see it on their own because their eyes are firmly shut, but if they do go see it, they'll come out angry at the vast right wing conspiracy.
I think that is true of people who are old enough to have been around for the Clinton's time in The White House, but not so much for the younger crowd. I saw an article the other day referencing a poll/study that showed Hillary to be exceptionally vulnerable to attack ads among young voters. I don't think most people under 30 have any grasp of the Clinton's dirty laundry.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Most people under 30 don't even know how to do laundry.

And I'm seeing The Revenant later today. Review to follow.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Aesop wrote:Most people under 30 don't even know how to do laundry.

And I'm seeing The Revenant later today. Review to follow.
I recognize the story; Revenant is a remake of the earlier Abandoned, which was taken from the mountain-man legend of Hugh Glass.
Glass was with a fur-trapping party in hostile indian territory and got himself mauled by an angry grizzly. That much was in the trailer
and the rest of the story would be spoilers.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Dinochrome One wrote: I recognize the story; Revenant is a remake of the earlier Abandoned, which was taken from the mountain-man legend of Hugh Glass.
Glass was with a fur-trapping party in hostile indian territory and got himself mauled by an angry grizzly. That much was in the trailer
and the rest of the story would be spoilers.
I thought that was Man in the Wilderness with Richard Harris?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom