Detectorists

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Steamforger

Detectorists

Post by Steamforger »

I caught a few GIFs of this show bouncing around on Reddit or here and there. It seemed a bit humorous, but I didn't give it an honest watch until this last weekend.

I can't believe it took this long.

A bit of disclosure is necessary. Much of my mother's side of the family were treasure hunters. It runs in the family, you might say. My grandfather had the dreams of finding some long lost treasure hoard, but had to settle for the US Civil War era. He was rather successful. Today, he and his collection are housed at Port Hudson (different facilities though...) and I don't make it back there as much as I should. I learned much at his knee, including theoretic knowledge on DIY EOD and how to spin cast coke spoons (don't ask...) He also dug into other eras (see what I did there?) He pulled quite a bit of modern jewelry out of Lake Pontchartrain, received Cease and Desists from landowner's lawyers after Treasure Found Magazine published some of his exploits, and had NOPD called on him for "shocking bums in City Park with some kind of cattle prod." It never went smoothly.

He had his cohort of two friends, Joe and Dan. They called Dan "Luckey Dan" and Grandad often said he was luckier than a two-dicked dog. The three of them used to sneak into Port Hudson Battlefield at night and usually pack home a couple of live artillery shells along with minie balls and assorted other relics. In the early 80's he sold his collection to the State of Louisiana and moved to the Northshore to start a blueberry farm.

Detectorists is a well-researched comedy about a similar group in Essex. Two friends who manage to consistently be just on the losing side of winning. Along for the ride are former wives, current girlfriends, former wive's current boyfriends, the club, the competing club, premature deaths of other detectorists not important to the story, a fantastically mad farmer, his imaginary dogs, and a mole. The detectorist sub-culture is essentially spot on. The comedy is delightfully Brit. It hits home with me in a lot of ways and causes me to miss a couple of pirates who are no longer with us pretty badly.

1st season is on Netflix.
HTRN

Re: Detectorists

Post by HTRN »

Steamforger wrote:I learned much at his knee, including theoretic knowledge on DIY EOD and how to spin cast coke spoons (don't ask...)

received Cease and Desists from landowner's lawyers after Treasure Found Magazine published some of his exploits, and had NOPD called on him for "shocking bums in City Park with some kind of cattle prod." It never went smoothly.

He had his cohort of two friends, Joe and Dan. They called Dan "Luckey Dan" and Grandad often said he was luckier than a two-dicked dog. The three of them used to sneak into Port Hudson Battlefield at night and usually pack home a couple of live artillery shells along with minie balls and assorted other relics.
These are what I like to call "fun people" :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt