Dear Lord:Mangina Alert!

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
arctictom

Re: Dear Lord:Mangina Alert!

Post by arctictom »

Mostly about women , even the ones that think they are men.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

PawPaw wrote: The editors at Salon should gang up on this asshole and throw his desk out of a window.
With him duct-taped to it. Preferably from about 8 floors up.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

I'm feeling an overwhelming urge to take that dude's lunch money...
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

rightisright wrote:
Weetabix wrote:
pbnuc wrote:re: Well Done,
If you can't manage a steak well done with out drying it out, May be you should give the spatula to someone who can cook. I cooked at a seafood and steak house thru HS and college, it not that hard to do a well done steak guys. Sear it and stop pressing out the juices.
Well Done Steak Lover
My wife can't abide the look of pink in her meat, so she always orders well done. We've actually been a few places where hers tasted pretty good to me, so I know it can be done. Most people just can't do it.

And: Welcome to the party, pal! :D
Now, now fellas. If a guest wants a piece of $3/lb top round London Broil well done, I will happily oblige. But, in the name of Kamadhenu, I will not ruin a Prime rib eye for heathens such as yourselves! ;)
If a guest wants their beef burned, I'll burn it for them. As long as they eat it and like it, it isn't going to waste. It is like cooking a pork chop, if yo can do those you can do beef well done.

* I barely cook my steaks at all and consider otherwise to be madness, but rudeness is worse.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

It's kind of interesting how passionate men are about their meat.

"Mine is rare!"

"Mine is prime!"

"Mine is raw and bloody!"

"I test my meat with my fingers!"

"I'll give you well done, baby!"

Now, I'm fond of my meat, but I don't seem to get as hot about it as some others do.

(/trolling for Yogi comments 8-) )
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Cybrludite wrote:I'm feeling an overwhelming urge to take that dude's lunch money...
His wife doesn't let him have lunch money, she makes him bring a kale salad with tofu for lunch.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Vonz90 wrote:
rightisright wrote:
Weetabix wrote: My wife can't abide the look of pink in her meat, so she always orders well done. We've actually been a few places where hers tasted pretty good to me, so I know it can be done. Most people just can't do it.

And: Welcome to the party, pal! :D
Now, now fellas. If a guest wants a piece of $3/lb top round London Broil well done, I will happily oblige. But, in the name of Kamadhenu, I will not ruin a Prime rib eye for heathens such as yourselves! ;)
If a guest wants their beef burned, I'll burn it for them. As long as they eat it and like it, it isn't going to waste. It is like cooking a pork chop, if yo can do those you can do beef well done.

* I barely cook my steaks at all and consider otherwise to be madness, but rudeness is worse.
Oh, I can make pork chops on the grill just fine, much to my ex-girlfriend's mother's chagrin. She insisted it wasn't possible to grill pork chops without drying them out. BTW, her method for grilling ANYTHING was the barely crack the tank valve, turn the burners on as low as they'd go, and put whatever she was cooking on. Never heard the word "sear".

The point that both rightisright (I suspect) and I are are making is that if you grill steak like that, you can't tell a good steak from a bad one, they'll all taste the same. Might as well keep a london broil and save the rib-eye for someone who could tell the difference.

Exactly the same as my comment on mixing my single-malt, if you're gonna mix it with diet coke you might as well drink Johnny Walker Red or (shudder) Cutty Sark. Well, maybe not Cutty Sark.....

Don't get me started on people who mix Hennessy and Red Bull.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Oh, I can make a well done steak or a pork chop... it's not hard. As an aside, a fool proof method for moist pork chops: Brine them for an hour before cooking.

And I wasn't quite as douchey as my original post sounded.

Her: I don't really like steak all that much. Can you make mine well done?

Me: These are Prime rib eyes. The king of steak. Are you sure I can't cook one medium for you.

Her: No. They only way I can tolerate steak is if it is well done.

Me: I can make you a well done hamburger instead.

Her: Okay.

So, I was 3/4s of a douche. But not a complete douche. :)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote: If a guest wants their beef burned, I'll burn it for them. As long as they eat it and like it, it isn't going to waste. It is like cooking a pork chop, if yo can do those you can do beef well done.

I agree.

Were you offering your guest a steak, or were you offering them a steak purely on the condition that they eat it in a way that you approve? The latter is ungracious, insufferably snobbish, and rude.

Had they not eaten it, thrown it away, fed it to a dog, etc etc, then they would be the rude one. But not for asking for it cooked in a way they find preferable, and presumably comforting. I've even been known to make ketchup available. (Friend and former roommate put ketchup on all beef he consumed, up to and including rib-eye. And yes he's from Iowa.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
BDK

Post by BDK »

Eh... Good idea about offering a hamburger instead...

I don't know that I would accommodate someone who wants a well-done steak. Medium rare is as warm as I've ever cooked - my brother, who is very skilled with meat - cures his own bacon/makes jerky/smoked trout/etc - says medium is possible, and still taste OK, but that's about it.

Different cultural expectations - medium-well/well-done is more common in the Northeast, and a different food culture. (EG, lots of traditional Southern lunch counters have a daily special (meat and three veg), or burger or chicken salad/tuna salad, as their only options.)