Dear Lord:Mangina Alert!

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
rightisright

Re: Dear Lord:Mangina Alert!

Post by rightisright »

Greg wrote: I agree.

Were you offering your guest a steak, or were you offering them a steak purely on the condition that they eat it in a way that you approve? The latter is ungracious, insufferably snobbish, and rude.

Had they not eaten it, thrown it away, fed it to a dog, etc etc, then they would be the rude one. But not for asking for it cooked in a way they find preferable, and presumably comforting. I've even been known to make ketchup available. (Friend and former roommate put ketchup on all beef he consumed, up to and including rib-eye. And yes he's from Iowa.)
It was pretty obvious to me that she was going to "do me a favor" by eating the steak. She enjoyed her burger.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

BDK wrote:Different cultural expectations - medium-well/well-done is more common in the Northeast, and a different food culture. (EG, lots of traditional Southern lunch counters have a daily special (meat and three veg), or burger or chicken salad/tuna salad, as their only options.)
I remember Ms. Ruby's cafe in Derry, LA, a small, crossroads community with lots of agriculture. Ms. Ruby was an old woman when I knew her, in her early 70s and ran the cafe in town. She had a lunch special that included whatever she cooked that day, along with hamburgers and fries. You could either eat the plate lunch or get a burger. Your choice. She'd also cook you a steak if you asked for it.

Ms. Ruby's meat was all beef, and she grew the beef in her own herd of mixed Angus/Hereford cattle. She had them slaughtered especially for her cafe. Raised on good grass and fattened on good corn, they didn't have any steroids, antibiotics or growth hormones. It was "organic beef" before any of us knew what that was and it tasted like beef. Real beef.

Her normal plate lunch was beef roast with a potato (mashed or boiled or creamed) a salad, and bread. Her burgers were "hand-flung" in that she'd take a big handful of ground meat out of the fridge, pat it out and toss it on the grill. But her steaks were whatever she had in the fridge at the time. If you wanted a steak, she'd cook it for you, but you didn't get to choose sirloin, or strip, or ribeye. It was the luck of the draw. And, you didn't get to pick your done-ness level. It hit the plate at medium rare

She had cokes, and sweet tea, and water. And, she served a couple of dozen farmers every day. She had one table, the Millionaires Table. I asked her about that one day, and she said that to sit there, you had to have lost a million dollars in agriculture.

Ms. Ruby's was a rare place to eat lunch.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
BDK

Post by BDK »

If you end up in Myrtle Beach, you'll like Andy's Snack Shack. Victoria's and Hoskins are similar.

Sadly, they are disappearing.
Greg

Post by Greg »

rightisright wrote:

Were you offering your guest a steak, or were you offering them a steak purely on the condition that they eat it in a way that you approve? The latter is ungracious, insufferably snobbish, and rude.

Had they not eaten it, thrown it away, fed it to a dog, etc etc, then they would be the rude one. But not for asking for it cooked in a way they find preferable, and presumably comforting. I've even been known to make ketchup available. (Friend and former roommate put ketchup on all beef he consumed, up to and including rib-eye. And yes he's from Iowa.)
It was pretty obvious to me that she was going to "do me a favor" by eating the steak. She enjoyed her burger.
Ah, one of those. Never mind, feed her whatever. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

rightisright wrote:

I'll do you a favor like that anytime. Just say the word.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.