Award season has started and the idiots are showing

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Rod

Award season has started and the idiots are showing

Post by Rod »

Trumbo, the movie about Dalton Trumbo and the Red Scare, has garnered three nominations from the SAG. I predict this movie will win all kinds of awards even though it's a complete lie from start to finish.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Aesop

Re: Award season has started and the idiots are showing

Post by Aesop »

The fact that Trumbo wrote Spartacus while supposedly blacklisted shows that the whole thing was about as chilling as an iced Coke.
But Hollywood likes to pimp its own mythology of suffering until it reaches the level of surviving the Holocaust, doubly so when done for and by people who weren't even born then to refute the reality.

This is just the 21st C. version of Reds or Little Drummer Girl.
They'll never stop making movies about their glorious slobberfest love affair with communism, right up until they get shipped off to the gulags, or blown up by terrorists.

Just avoid them, and spare yourself the stomach upset.

By contrast, I just finished watching the entire first season of The Last Ship (which is practically a recruiting poster for the US Navy) on BD, and I can't wait for Season Two.
I almost fell over when they mentioned things like duty, honor, loyalty, and blowing the fuck out of anyone who threatens them in about every episode, and didn't shit on the flag every week, instead flying it proudly.
I can't believe it came out of Turner via WB, and actually aired on cable TV.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Maybe that tiny little bit of conservative Hollywood needs to make a movie about Hollywood Communists who defect to the SOviet Union, and end up in the gulags. There's a great non-fiction book out there called "The Forsaken" by Tim Tzouliadis which tells about all the Americans who emigrated to the Soviet Union in the 20s and 30s, and how they got royally screwed by their hosts and by our own government.
Or something showing Muslim terrorists blowing up a bunch of America-haters who try to join them.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

dfwmtx wrote:Or something showing Muslim terrorists blowing up a bunch of America-haters who try to join them.
We have that already...it's The Bowe Bergdahl Story.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

And that "Poster girl for ISIS" chick.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Aesop wrote:
dfwmtx wrote:Or something showing Muslim terrorists blowing up a bunch of America-haters who try to join them.
He's still breathing.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

dfwmtx wrote:
Aesop wrote:
He's still breathing.
That's because it's 50-50 whether the Army will honor the UCMJ and fry his ass, or bend over, drop trousers, and send him to Hopey Dopey for a DSC ceremony for heroically deserting to the enemy in time of war.
After opening the entire military to women, it's pretty clear at this point the generals are just fumbling with their zippers.
If the next terrorist attack nukes the entire Pentagon on a workday, the rest of the country will owe the terrorists a solid, and a gift card to Starbuck's.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Aesop wrote:If the next terrorist attack nukes the entire Pentagon on a workday, the rest of the country will owe the terrorists a solid, and a gift card to Starbuck's.
Right, because the people who are in charge of the military will certainly build and staff a more effective replacement facility, free of the ills that currently plague the Puzzle Palace. Personally, I would suggest perhaps a different target in the same general area, if I wanted to effect an improvement in the command structure of our military. Plus, I kind of like reading G-man's posts.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I agree about G-man. But he would be collateral damage. Just like the janitors and coffee servers in the WTC.

The entire fish stinks from the head down, and there's no one in the services above 0-5 worth saving. Maybe not even above E-8.
Because in 14 months, when HopeyDopey's gone, and his retinue of DoD douchcanoes with him, the entire .mil will still be stuck with the same careerist never-ending conga line of Courtney Massengale 0-s and senior E-s in charge.
They made their bed, and it's their careers and pensions above all. Including before the actual national defense, readiness, mission accomplishment, or troop welfare.
A blinding flash would be clean and quick, but an endless parade of tumbrel carts would drive the point home better.
Sadly, neither will happen, because our enemies aren't liable to eliminate our greatest weakness out of an abundance of stupidity.

Total number of resignations over the deus et machina solution to women throughout every MOS: zero, in perpetuity.
Total number of protest resignations when they decide to pin a medal on Bergdouche over finding him guilty of desertion and misbehavior in combat requiring the application of the death penalty: zero, in perpetuity.

The military has, indeed, been totally transformed.
All that's left is those bound by contracts and unable to leave immediately. (Or those close enough to retirement hoping they can stay in long enough to get the magic blue ID card, and then get out before the BS rises above their mouths.)
My condolences.
Anyone else should be packing, and leaving skidmarks.
Now they know how the nucleus of the Confederate Army felt in 1861.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aesop wrote:They made their bed, and it's their careers and pensions above all. Including before the actual national defense, readiness, mission accomplishment, or troop welfare.
You say that like it's a new thing. It's been going on for probably 150 years.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D