Swedish cops on Brooklyn Nine Nine

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Erik

Re: Swedish cops on Brooklyn Nine Nine

Post by Erik »

SoupOrMan wrote:Don't Swedes always say that Danes speak like they have potatoes in their mouths?
Yes, that's a common saying, that's pretty much how Danish sounds to Swedes. There's some differences in words and grammar, but the big thing is pronounciation.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Erik

Post by Erik »

HTRN wrote:Erik, in case you don't read it, check out Scandinavia and the world..
Thanks for the reminder, I used to read it but havent for a while now. I'll put it on my list again.

Another fun story
Years ago the Euro soccer Championship were held in Sweden. Sweden and Denmark was in the same group, and the match between them became the usual grudge fight with Sweden winning, both that match and the group. The Swedish fans were overjoyed that they beat Denmark. Both teams made it to the semifinals, where Sweden was beaten by Germany. Denmark faced the Netherlands and had a tough match that went to overtime and penalty kicks, but Denmark just barely managed to win.

So now a very tired Denmark face a fresh and clear favorite Germany in the final, in a Swedish town. This is where all Swedes decides that they are now Danish, dress up in red and white and become Danish fans. The whole city looked like Copenhagen, and except for the German fans the whole stadium was red and white Danish, loudly cheering the Danes and booing the Germans.
In a true underdog game the Danish team managed to fight their way to a victory to the ever louder cheers of the whole stadium. And afterwards all of Sweden and Denmark celebrated the victory together. :)
John Wayne
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

That sounds like a variation on the old joke: " I'm a fan of the Yankees and anybody playing the redsox". :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

First Shirt wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote: When did you learn Vietnamese? My dad was a Non-Morse Signal Interceptor & Vietnamese linguist when he was in the Air Force.
Got to Okinawa in 1973, my class at Ft. Bliss was one of the last ones before they moved the Vietnamese language course back to Monterey. IIRC, your dad was about 8-10 years ahead of me at Offutt, and I was about 8 years ahead of Randy.
Wow. Dad's Vietnamese course in 1968 was at Indiana University. DLI must have had a lot of growing pains with all the moving around.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I'm not sure I get the eight hour flight joke, unless it's that anyone flying a long distance is asked "how long was your flight"?

I spent a little time in Sweden. Most every Swede I met was very warm and friendly. I only met one or two who couldn't speak english very well. Most spoke english when we Americans were around out of courtesy, even if they weren't speaking to us. One person told me that they learned english from a young age because they got most of their TV and movies from the UK and America.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Erik

Post by Erik »

Catbird wrote:I'm not sure I get the eight hour flight joke, unless it's that anyone flying a long distance is asked "how long was your flight"?
That is why I think the writer is Scandinavian. :D
Danes believe Swedes are boring and stiff, and think they know more than others. So Swedes telling others useless and boring facts to "educate the brutes" would be a Danish slam on Swedes.
One person told me that they learned english from a young age because they got most of their TV and movies from the UK and America.
Swedes start learning English in school in third grade. German and usually French in 7th grade. But since Swedes also get a lot of American TV and music, and everyone has internet as well as a lot of Swedes travel abroad every year, there is lots of practice outside school as well.
Hence the language joke, most Swedes know several languages, at least on a basic level. A fact Swedes are pretty proud of.
John Wayne
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

SoupOrMan wrote: Wow. Dad's Vietnamese course in 1968 was at Indiana University. DLI must have had a lot of growing pains with all the moving around.
I think Vietnamese was at DLI/WC (Monterey) until about 1966, and at DLI/SW (Ft. Bliss) until about 1973, because it was back in Monterey when I was there in 1975 for Korean.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom