Battletech Kickstarter

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Greg

Re: Battletech Kickstarter

Post by Greg »

In 3025 tech 5/8 medium mechs aren't half bad. Speedwise, 5/8 iirc is actually a sweet spot.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:
Mike OTDP wrote:Medium Mechs are junk.
Play a Hellstar. :ugeek:

Also, Remlab is a pretty good free online design tool for Battletech. I've come up with some seriously nasty machines(Ever seen a Clantech Thug? with MASC, Jumpjets, and XL engines?)
Um, that's 95 tons. It's also a bit of a ripoff of an old design - Warhawk/Masakari except 10 tons bigger to carry more heat sinks. I used a Masakari in online Battletech games 20 years ago. It was nice. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Actually, it was optimized design, loosely inspired by the internal(and very much rule breaking) design of Gauszilla, by BT's then line developer, Bryan Nystul. It inspired a Mech that did follow the rules(and later can be seen as design related to the Hellstar), the Annihilator.

The optimization is fairly well done, as by giving up 5 tons, it was able to move to 4/6 speed, yet was still heavy enough to have the required number of DHS to fire all four of it's 15 damage point, ER PPCs every single round. That gives it a 1 in 3 chance of a head shot, which with the damage level, is an automatic fatality. It's weapons outrange nearly everything else. Add in the hefty armor package, and you pretty much have the ultimate zombie mech.

Now, you have some real fun, build a 75 clan tech Battlemech, give it 4 Pulse lasers, a targeting computer, and jump jets, and 20 DHS. Stay at the Pulse lasers max range of 20 Hexes. But because of targeting bonuses(Pulse laser, Targeting computer), it's like shooting at short range. Just chew away at your opponent, never letting him get close enough to really maul you. :ugeek: The BV for it is just under 2800. :shock:

Next post: How to build a terrifying clantech Thug. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

Were you online early enough to know what MUSE's/MUSH's are? Early text-only MMO's.

There were a number of Battletech themed ones in the mid 90's, set in different periods so with different tech levels.

More or less been there, done all that, in realtime against live human opponents. Just not for 20 years. :(

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I know what they are, just never got involved with them.

How to build a clantech, 2800+ BV Thug.

Endosteel.
320 Fusion XL
2 ER PPCs.
2 Streak LRM15s.
15.5 tons of armor.
Jump jets.
10 DHS.

You can get it over 3000BV by dropping a two DHS, and adding a targeting computer.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

You want high BV? Get better Mech pilots. Things look a LOT different with 1/1 piloting/gunnery. :D
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

I've been looking forward to seeing the game on a disk for a long time. Megamek is nice, but they are a shoestring operation. No serious funding.

Now if they can just make it with custom stuff doable in the design rules like I can do with the Heavymetal programs that would be great. And since it is turn based, this could mean a play-by-mail option of some kind as well.

And of course, the ability to do lance, company, and battalion level fights.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Heavy gear was a good game