Bridge Of Spies

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
skb12172

Re: Bridge Of Spies

Post by skb12172 »

Would that be a requirement?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Pretty much. FDR was farther left than Obama. The "liberal" movement in the 50s, were pretty much Communist agents, or damn close to it.

Which of their policies do you think you'd support?

The Civil Rights Act stuff came from the GOP/libertarian side

This was when the Communists were given the nuke because they traitors wanted to "balance" the US - admittedly, the term military-industrial complex was invented by Eisenhower to describe the system promulgated by FDR, and first implemented by Wilson.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Hell, these days I'm almost fully convinced FDR knew about the attack on Pearl Harbor and let it happen on purpose so he could drag isolationist America into the war.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

dfwmtx wrote:Hell, these days I'm almost fully convinced FDR knew about the attack on Pearl Harbor and let it happen on purpose so he could drag isolationist America into the war.
They expected an attack - they just expected it to come in the Philippines, not Hawaii. Most importantly, because U.S. intelligence didn't know that the IJN had fast oilers and underway refueling capability to allow them to sail their carriers to Hawaii to launch the strike. http://chicagoboyz.net/archives/26430.html

On another topic, perhaps we don't have any 50s liberals on this forum, but do we have any who would be JFK Democrats? (I'm pretty sure JFK would be tossed out of the current Dem party on his ear.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

BDK wrote:Pretty much. FDR was farther left than Obama. The "liberal" movement in the 50s, were pretty much Communist agents, or damn close to it.

This was when the Communists were given the nuke because they traitors wanted to "balance" the US - admittedly, the term military-industrial complex was invented by Eisenhower to describe the system promulgated by FDR, and first implemented by Wilson.
To be fair, the term was "1950s liberal," not "1950s Democrat."
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jericho941 wrote:
BDK wrote:Pretty much. FDR was farther left than Obama. The "liberal" movement in the 50s, were pretty much Communist agents, or damn close to it.

To be fair, the term was "1950s liberal," not "1950s Democrat."
There were quite a number of firmly loyal, patriotic Americans in both categories. That was quite obviously true even into the 70's or 80's. Problem was, both categories were hopelessly infiltrated by those who weren't, and the ones who weren't were too influential to even attempt to root out.

Yeah FDR was a special case. His Presidency was basically a coup, and the supporting power structure he put in place (our Ivy League overlords) unfortunately outlived him.

Of course FDR's Ivy League coup was just the finish to what the never-sufficiently-to-be-damned Woodrow Wilson started. And what 2dub (tm) started was only made possible by our involvement in WW1.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr