The Martian

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Denis

Re: The Martian

Post by Denis »

I just read the book, and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing the movie too. I hope I can still catch it in a cinema somewhere, instead of on blu-ray...
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

randy wrote:Must have been the same loser judges that gave the first ever Heavy Metal Grammy to Jethro Tull, the year that Metallica's Black album was released.
Don't get me started on those assholes.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote:
randy wrote:Must have been the same loser judges that gave the first ever Heavy Metal Grammy to Jethro Tull, the year that Metallica's Black album was released.
Don't get me started on those assholes.
Hey, the flute has always been known as a heavy metal instrument.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Every other genre, no matter how small, has its own category, yet metal is stuck in rock with only one award.

No song of the year, album or artist of the year..

And best of all is the jackals especially that do get nominated, are corporate acts being pushed by the major labels or clear channel. :roll:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

HTRN wrote:Every other genre, no matter how small, has its own category, yet metal is stuck in rock with only one award.
I knew you were into heavy metal, but I wasn't thinking of the musical kind too... :mrgreen:
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Denis wrote:
HTRN wrote:Every other genre, no matter how small, has its own category, yet metal is stuck in rock with only one award.
I knew you were into heavy metal, but I wasn't thinking of the musical kind too... :mrgreen:
I still have my Kutte and cycle jacket.
8-)

And oh, as much as I love Jack Black, the fact that Tenacious D won over Motorhead at last years Grammy awards for best Metal Performance, proves that once and for all, the people in charge need a severe beating with a sack of oranges.

toad

Post by toad »

Well it looks like we have a list of gassy, full of shit people to ship to Mars. Should we do a kick starter campaign for one way rockets?
I can just see Obama waking up all confused and flailing around in the lowered gravity.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Finally got the wife around to watching this last night, we rented it on demand. Once you get past the bit about there not being enough air on Mars to throw rocks around, this movie is totally awesome. Everything other than 'the storm' are completely plausible issues within the whole "not being on Earth can make you dead very quickly" problem set. The piece about re-establishing comms was brilliant, and the space pirate bit was a riot. I loved Star Wars from a nostalgia standpoint, but this beat the hell out of that film every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Edited to add: I had to explain the Elrond reference to my wife, since as soon as that codename came on screen and I saw Sean Bean, I started laughing my ass off and she couldn't hear any of the dialogue.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Little Sister

Post by Little Sister »

Dinochrome and I saw this on Friday night and loved it. His biggest complaint was not enough air to have the storms that size. Other than that, a great movie.

I seem to recall the footage of the supply rocket exploding looked like the time that SpaceX lost a supply rocket to the SS. I commented that they would not get the birthday cake. I saw that when it happened.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity - Robert Heinlein
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

JPL friend who has been flight director on several missions said the difficulty reestablishing comm's/datalink was the thing that bugged them most. So many radios and related gear available that was overlooked in the movie. That and the underwear...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story