Epicaricacy Alert: "The View" Steps On Its Ovaries Again

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Aesop

Epicaricacy Alert: "The View" Steps On Its Ovaries Again

Post by Aesop »

Odds are, you probably haven't noticed, but the show that brought Whoopi Goldberg differentiating between ordinary rape and "rape rape" has surpassed itself: in dishing on one of the Miss America runners up, Associate Jackass Joy Behar wondered why the contestant,
a registered nurse, was wearing a "doctor's stethoscope". Link :roll:

With which moment satire medical site GomerBlog took and ran.

So, by the numbers:
1) I don't watch "The View", as the rantings and opinions of has-been and never-was talentless shrews ranks right up there with getting a vasectomy with a sledgehammer, without anesthesia
2) They could probably dish on someone's looks, hairstyle, or boob job with impunity, but shitting on an entire profession, nursing, out of sheer jackassical ignorance is about as cute as shooting yourself in the foot, while your foot's in your mouth
3) At last look, there are something like 3.1M nurses in this country, 1% of the entire nation's population, not counting their spouses and families, and anecdotally, it appears only about 3M of them are pissed off by this

So the stage was set for a pretty good blowback.
My response was that I hadn't heard of this when I read another nurse's blogpost about being livid over it, and that given that we're talking about a mouth on "The Spew", I expected nothing but ignorant jackassery, and mused that only a desire to give fucktards role models could explain the employment of any of the hostesses of the show having paychecks from a national network.

But I had no idea how big a shitstorm they've mined.

Their "apology" was revealed to be nothing but the insincere boilerplate most apologies these days are, by show insiders (read that as people who work backstage, and don't like the "talent", for whatever reasons).
Two show sponsors pulled out, including megacorp Johnson & Johnson. Given the choice between most of healthcare, or ABC, they jumped ship like Behar was on fire in a pool of gasoline.

So, let's say J&J put up one commercial per episode, at $1M@pop, every day, five days a week, 50 weeks a year, that's a mere $250M hit to the ABC network, within the first week of this thing. I'm betting I'm lowballing their account by a goodly margin even at that.

To the point that recent commentary on the debacle was quoting a Forbes magazine writer in the context of an upcoming feature article on this thing, indicating that it now has some serious legs as a controversy. Which happens in business magazine circles when a major media outlet shits a measly few hundred million $$ over dumb shit, and investors stand to pay for it in the Market.

So now I'm getting popcorn.

Because when Disney CEO Bob Iger calls from WDC Corp HQ down the street to Ben Sherwood, head of ABC, who calls over to Bill Wollf and Candi Carter, the departing and interim exec producers, respectively, of "The View", I want to know how they spin this in such a way as to explain standing behind the jackass who has single-handedly cost them the visceral ire of the largest group of working female professionals in America while simultaneously blowing a hole in the company bank vault and letting a quarter of a billion dollars in network ad revenue leak out onto the street, making them the network and corporation that hates nurses, and explain how Behar still keeps her job.

Behar's recent lame-ass explanation "I didn't know what the hell I was talking about!" is the truthful understatement of the century, but it still isn't as funny as her head ending up on a pike pole, probably by the end of the week.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Old Grafton

Re: Epicaricacy Alert: "The View" Steps On Its Ovaries Again

Post by Old Grafton »

My heart's cockles are warm and toasty. :lol:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

My lady (who is a psych/MH RN) was discussing this last weekend, before she was called out to evaluate a homebound patient. She, of course, doesn't have time to watch "The View" because she works for a living in a demanding health field, but she reports that the blowback around the office has been venomous. My lady was particularly amused over the stethoscope brouhaha, having several of those instruments that she uses daily.

When I ask how many stethoscopes she needs, she asks how many guns I need. I've learned to shut my damned mouth. But I digress.

I have to admit, pissing off 3+million RNs in one 15 second film clip is impressive. Johnson & Johnson wisely picked the correct side in this debate, opting to go with the millions of clients who actually order and use their myriad bandages, salves, and emoluments. The fact that Joy Behar hasn't been tied to a metaphorical stake to be burned as atonement speaks to the intelligence of the ABC executive suite.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

PawPaw wrote:When I ask how many stethoscopes she needs, she asks how many guns I need.
One to listen to patients...and one to beat nitwit TV morons with. The head of the latter is made of steel, filled with lead.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

You underestimate the corporate juggernaut that is Johnson and Johnson. With the sheer number of brands they own, the impact on The View and ABC has to approach a half billion, and even that number may be a touch low.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Jered

Post by Jered »

People still watch the view?

:roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aesop wrote:Joy Behar wondered why the contestant,
I can't recall if the day nurse had one, but the night nurse, Ella had one during my recent stay in the ICU.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

PawPaw wrote:The fact that Joy Behar hasn't been tied to a metaphorical stake to be burned as atonement speaks to the intelligence of the ABC executive suite.
They can only burn her using an approved Talk Show Host Stake as stipulated in her contract. Standard Heretic-grade stakes won't do.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

I forsee that every time from now on when Joy Behar needs to get stuck with a needle, she gets a trainee nurse usingthe large gauge needles.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

HTRN wrote:
Aesop wrote:Joy Behar wondered why the contestant,
I can't recall if the day nurse had one, but the night nurse, Ella had one during my recent stay in the ICU.
I'd be stunned if she didn't. I'm just a lapsed EMT, and I have one. Pretty sure dad (retired EMT) still has his and Grandma's (50+ year nurse.)
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!