TV shows getting overly formulamatic.

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
toad

TV shows getting overly formulamatic.

Post by toad »

Really, TV action/adventure shows are getting so predictable, constantly recurring villain for back story, over use of flash back, too often a PC message. I'm kind of sorry I re-subscribed to Netflix.
Guncrazy

Re: TV shows getting overly formulamatic.

Post by Guncrazy »

Gave up House of Cards after the first episode of Season 3. Started watching Continuum and abandoned it. Started watching Arrow and abandoned it. Started watching Person of Interest today...not yet committed to abandoning it.

There's nothing good on TV anymore. Although Archer is still pretty damn funny, but I'm only on Season 3.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I thought season 5 of Archer was about as good as it was going to get. 6 was a bit of a let down.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

It's gone way past formulaic into cookie cutter territory. There is almost no originality left in whoever is writing and producing TV shows. I started watching "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" today on a TV streaming website. Like giving food to a starving man. About the only new shows I really like are The Last Ship, even with all it's mistakes, and Shark Tank. I love seeing what innovations other people are up to.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

The Walking Dead has been pretty entertaining. I didn't start watching until this year, on Netflix, which makes it more enjoyable without commercials. The last TV show I watched regularly was the new Battlestar Galactica series. We've started watching The Blacklist on Netflix, and it's been ok, but alas more and more predictable.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

toad wrote:Really, TV action/adventure shows are getting so predictable.
It's almost like theirs a website for that.. ;) :ugeek:

We should hear back from Toad in about 3 weeks if he clicks that link.. :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Easy way to tell if a show's worth watching:

Whether or not every episode ends on a cliffhanger.

If so, run. It's a cheap trick to play with your curiosity so you keep watching a completely garbage show.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I was watching Burn Notice. Until it wrapped.
And White Collar. Their final season was an abbreviated deus et machina-palooza, and then it wrapped.
(I haven't seen anything so badly handled since they forced Deadwood to wrap two years early, or when Joss Wheedon had to cram 4 1/2 years of unshot Firefly into one Serenity movie. :evil: Like everything after Aliens, I'm waiting for Ripley and Hicks/Mal & crew to wake up from hypersleep/a good drunk on a distant planet, and have them pick up like the subsequent abortions never happened. Kind of like Bob Newhart did when he woke up after his last Newhart show with Suzanne Pleshette at the end of the episode, and brought the house down. )
The only show I even bother with anymore is Big Bang Theory, and like the above, only by waiting until the conclusion of the series year, buying the DVDs, and binge watching the entire season.
There's nothing else anywhere on TV at the moment or recently you could even pay me to watch.

My collection of movies and old TV shows on disc, OTOH, grows by the yard year by year, and I'll probably have to add mezzanine bookshelves to tame the stacks of future fireload I cart home from Barnes & Noble month by month.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Aesop wrote:Like everything after Aliens, I'm waiting for Ripley and Hicks/Mal & crew to wake up from hypersleep/a good drunk on a distant planet, and have them pick up like the subsequent abortions never happened.
Ask and ye shall receive!

I've been binging on Longmire recently.
toad

Post by toad »

I'm waiting for Godzilla rule 34.
"Oh my God what is that reptile doing to that poor ape?"
PG-NSFW

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ice%20boat