Superhero Categories

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
evan price

Superhero Categories

Post by evan price »

I just had a thought during a long drive into work that we can divide "superheroes" into 3 distinct categories:

1. Beings with an intrinsic natural ability- Superman, Aquaman, The X-Men, Thor, Hellboy

2. Beings with a gadget or suit that gives them special abilities- Iron Man, Ant-Man, The Falcon, Batman

3. Beings that have had some change that makes them special- Spiderman, The Flash, The Hulk, Wolverine, Green Lantern, Captain America
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Greg

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Greg »

evan price wrote:I just had a thought during a long drive into work that we can divide "superheroes" into 3 distinct categories:

1. Beings with an intrinsic natural ability- Superman, Aquaman, The X-Men, Thor, Hellboy

2. Beings with a gadget or suit that gives them special abilities- Iron Man, Ant-Man, The Falcon, Batman

3. Beings that have had some change that makes them special- Spiderman, The Flash, The Hulk, Wolverine, Green Lantern, Captain America
Wolverine is (1) and (3). It's only (1) that lets him survive (3).
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

evan price wrote:I just had a thought during a long drive into work that we can divide "superheroes" into 3 distinct categories:

In the case of Batman and Iron Man, starting out as #1 is why they act as #2.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Jericho941 wrote:

In the case of Batman and Iron Man, starting out as #1 is why they act as #2.
Well, no, y'see. Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are rich geniuses but without their gear they are just normal people.
"Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist" as Stark says in The Avengers.

evan price

Post by evan price »

Greg wrote:

Wolverine is (1) and (3). It's only (1) that lets him survive (3).
I forgot Wolverine was a mutant first...

Kommander

Post by Kommander »

2. Beings with a gadget or suit that gives them special abilities- Iron Man, Ant-Man, The Falcon

3. Beings that have had some change that makes them special- Spiderman, The Flash, The Hulk, Green Lantern, Captain America

4. Beings that are Batman

There, fixed it.
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Kommander wrote: 1. Beings with an intrinsic natural ability- Superman, Aquaman, The X-Men, Thor, Hellboy

2. Beings with a gadget or suit that gives them special abilities- Iron Man, Ant-Man, The Falcon, Green Lanterns

3. Beings that have had some change that makes them special- Spiderman, The Flash, The Hulk,[strike]Green Lantern[/strike], Captain America

4. Beings that are Batman

There, fixed it.
The members of the Green Lantern Corps derive their power via their power rings. There are non-human members of the GLC which would fall into category 1 when compared to humans.

I would agree that category 4 is the best.

Side note: I need to try harder not to let my children become comic book collectors like I was, but it's hard when I enjoying watching the new DC/Marvel cartoons more than they do. :geek:
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Wife and I have slightly different superhero categories, also determined on a car trip:

1. Aliens with superhuman abilities-Superman, Darkseid, Orion, the rest of the New Gods, Galactus, etc.

2. Tech based-Green Lantern Corps, Iron Man, Cyborg, Ant-Man, etc.

3. Mutants (born with their abilities, mostly human)-Wolverine, the X-men, Black Canary, etc.

4. Mutates (changed to get their abilities, still mostly human)-Hulk, Captain America, Flash, etc

5. Supernatural-Hawk and Dove, Specter, Captain Marvel, Hercules, etc.

6. Peak human-Batman, Green Arrow, Mr. Terrific, etc.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Where does the Punisher fit into your taxonomy?
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
randy

Re: Superhero Categories

Post by randy »

Split from the Does Not Follow thread at OP's request.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".