Superhero Categories

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Jericho941

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Jericho941 »

HTRN wrote:
Dinochrome One wrote:
dfwmtx wrote:Where does the Punisher fit into your taxonomy?
Looks like #6 to me; he's just heavily-armed-and-cruel Batman.
Frank Castle isn't a "hero'. He's a "garbageman". :ugeek:
Yeah. Batman doesn't just use his money to buy gear and training to beat up the poor and insane. As Bruce Wayne, he runs a truly ridiculous number of charities, makes a point of giving felons jobs to curb recidivism, is a member of the parole board, and is so involved at combating crime at every possible level it's kind of a wonder he gets any Wayne Corp business done. The guy is so selflessly devoted to his cause that even if he's an atheist, I'm pretty sure there'd be the prerequisite two postmortem miracles necessitating his canonization as Saint Bruce.

That's the main thing that really bugged me about the "Nolanverse" Batman from the recent movies: He's more or less Punisher set to "stun" because guns are bad, mmkay? Chris Nolan's Batman was so anti-gun, he was an elitist about being a vigilante: So it's okay for some rich asshole who can afford years of martial arts training, super-secret special armor, and travel the entire world to find some weird cult to train with in the arts of beating people up to get a weird themed disguise and fight crime, but when Joe Blow who works 14 hours a day to return to a shithole apartment wants to do something about the assholes who keep robbing him and his neighbors, he's a LOLFAT sack of crap because he dares to use guns.

I mean, when Tony Stark is objectively a better person than your version of Bruce Wayne, you done goofed. "He's all yours."

Nolan's version of Bruce Wayne gets to take the cowl off and retire to his nice mansion well outside the crappy parts of Gotham because he feels sad, or broken, empty inside or whatever Hollywood thinks is "deep." Meanwhile Fatty McAverage has to keep living in Crime Hell 24/7/365 minus his rifle because Bats destroyed it, then Joker happens to him.

The other thing was all the Joker worship that came out of the second movie. Dude, he's a villain. He doesn't "make more sense" than Batman. Neither of them make any sense in the context of those godawful movies.

Anyway, I digress. Punisher doesn't care. Punisher punishes. Batman cares. That's the main difference between the two.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Jericho941 wrote:That's the main thing that really bugged me about the "Nolanverse" Batman from the recent movies: He's more or less Punisher set to "stun" because guns are bad, mmkay? Chris Nolan's Batman was so anti-gun, he was an elitist about being a vigilante: So it's okay for some rich asshole who can afford years of martial arts training, super-secret special armor, and travel the entire world to find some weird cult to train with in the arts of beating people up to get a weird themed disguise and fight crime, but when Joe Blow who works 14 hours a day to return to a shithole apartment wants to do something about the assholes who keep robbing him and his neighbors, he's a LOLFAT sack of crap because he dares to use guns.
Bear in mind that Nolan was born a Brit and as such had his testes physically removed shortly after birth. The idea of guns in the hands of anyone but duly designated and specially authorized agents of HM's government leaves him with the screaming meemies because firearms not only kill- which is bad enough- but death by firearm rips the very eternal soul out of the victim, so dying from a gunshot wound- no matter if justified in self defence- leaves the shooter as an even worse criminal than the original criminal they shot. This *is* England, where a rapist home invader gets community sentencing and an ASBO, but the homeowner who defends themselves with their old shotgun gets life in prison.

This is today's England:
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8805022 ... d_mystery/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -pond.html
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Quaking in fear at the thought of the demonic pellets, Mr. Tipping went on, "Their unholy spirits could come back to punish me for disturbing their burial ground. I soiled my armor, I was so scared!"
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D