Turtledove: Worldwar

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
skb12172

Turtledove: Worldwar

Post by skb12172 »

I'm finally reading the first book. Typical Turtledove. Great idea, painfully slow execution. I know how the series ends. Should I continue or hang it up after the first book?

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Flintlock Tom

Re: Turtledove: Worldwar

Post by Flintlock Tom »

If you don't enjoy reading the book, why continue?
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I'm just wondering if the pace ever picks up. Plus, I like to finish what I start.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

It's a 7 book series in total, so the pace ain't going to get any better. I recently sold my copies when I was paring down my fiction library. I decided I didn't feel like re-reading any alternate history stories which throw aliens into the mix.

Cross-cultural contamination is one great theme of the whole series. THe idea of ginger being analogous to cocaine for the aliens is kinda neat. All sorts of hijinks ensue from that.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
evan price

Post by evan price »

I read the series until the reptiles left the planet which was, book four or five, I don't remember. I didn't really have any desire to continue it any further. It was a neat idea, and there were some good characters and concepts, but it just got tedious.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
randy

Post by randy »

I think I got 3 or 4 in. I do admit to giggling somewhat when one of the lizards was complaining how cold it was in Russia. During the summer. Bubba, you got a rude awakening coming.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

One part of the whole series that intrigued me was that the "little scaley devils" vastly underestimated the speed of human technological advancement. They set out from their world thinking that they would be up against 12th-Century feudalist/tribalists wearing rusty chain-mail and carrying spears. They arrived during WW2 and attacked all sides at once.

Loved it.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I think that I own the whole series. I liked the first three novels pretty much, and then the second three were not filled with much action. The last one was just meh. I don't think it was a great read, though I did complete all of these about ten years ago.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

He always does that in a series. Stretches the story out to an excruciating degree. That's why Guns of the South is his best book. He had to move the action along and get the story told in a single volume. Yes, I've read a lot of Turtledove.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

His duo of books on the Japanese invasion of Hawaii was pretty good. "Ruled Britiania" was a good stand alone novel.

Of course, if he feels the need to stretch his stories out to multiple books, he could make it a lot easier by not glossing over the sex. :twisted:
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia