Fallout 4 announced

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
scipioafricanus

Fallout 4 announced

Post by scipioafricanus »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE2BkLqMef4#t=65

Nothing else needs to be said. I either have to get one of the next gen consoles or a good PC (really an iMac running windows).
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Kommander

Re: Fallout 4 announced

Post by Kommander »

I've got mixed feeling on this ones. While its nice to see more fallout, and more colorful fallout, I can't help but note Bethesda's complete inability to write compelling characters or narratives. They do a good job with world building though, so it's almost as if they should craft the framework, and let someone else make all the plot and characters. I'm also conflicted about the setting. While the previous DC setting provided some unique insights into the world of fallout I felt it lost some of that "western" feeling that I liked about the first two and New Vegas. With the game now set in Boston I can't help but feel the same way. I do wonder who they will get from Hollywood to play an important character who dies halfway early in the game this time. As for Scipioafricanus needing a new computer it looks to be on the same engine Skyrim was on, so if you can run that you most likely will be able to run Fallout 4.
scipioafricanus

Played Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim on the PS3. I do hope that the leveling will work like the Skyrim model.
As for the CPU, I am running a 07 iMac with X 6.8 which allows for nothing new. I would like to get a new iMac set to the max but that would be around 5 grand, and while I certainly use it, if Chris were still around I can feel him yelling at me for it. Yes, the iMacs are overpriced for what you get. Although, I did compare the gaming rigs from Alienware and the new iMacs are actually faster. The only problem I see is a graphics card being obsolete far too soon (those you can't change out on a iMac).

So I would love to get a new CPU, run windows on it, and play 3 old games (Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim) with all the mods I want.
And, of course, Fallout 4.
oilcrash

Post by oilcrash »

I don't know. Based on the short video, and teh various locations shown, It almost seems like Bethsoft is getting back to the enormity of the Lefay era games.

It might be interesting to see the East Coast and West Coast Brotherhood meet somewhere in the middle, especially given the way both groups had to evolve to survive.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Already informed SWMBO that it's coming, and that I'm buying it.

"Do you really care?"

"I've played every Fallout game, ever. So, yes."

2012-built Laptop with a 3rd gen Core i7 and Radeon 7650M should handle it, though I likely won't be able to turn on all the bells and whistles.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
scipioafricanus

I would have loved some Fallout 3 DLC that had to do with East Brotherhood and the Outcasts. Choices would be one or the other, unite both, or choose the Enclave.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

scipioafricanus wrote:I do hope that the leveling will work like the Skyrim model.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system with the perks and karma has been used by fallout since day one and that's not going to change.

As for factions I do hope we get to see some new ones. Is anyone else rather sick of the BoS?
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

If you want to "build" a gaming rig, here are a couple of ideas from my own experience. I put "build" in quotes, because with the videos on Newegg, a Phillips screwdriver, a $3 anti-static wrist strap, and a few hours' time, virtually anyone can build one. I have a VERY stable gaming rig, I built it this past Christmas. AMD 8-core running at 4 GHz, Sabertooth mobo, 32 GB of RAM, Blu-Ray reader, a 500-GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. NICE case, CPU is liquid cooled, and has a 1000w power supply. Oh, it also has a GTX 970 video card, with 4GB of dedicated video RAM. ALL that set me back approximately $1800. Throw in your favorite flavor of Windows (I'm running 8.1 pro) and you're in like Flynn for under two grand. Monitor not included, but NICE 24-inch ones are available pretty cheap. I did mine through Amazon, as I was "trying out" Prime for 30 days, free. Got it all with free two-day shipping and had it up and running in about four hours, because I took my time, made it all pretty, and it took over half an hour to load Windows. I'm using Ethernet into the router, but many good wifi dongles/cards run less than $75. And it can all be upgraded, all at once or piecemeal, any time I have the desire. I'll probably add a second graphics card and SLI them, just because more, bigger, faster. But right now, this thing runs anything I throw at it, on Ultra. Skyrim is smooth as glass, and Far Cry 4 looks almost better than "Avatar." I have never had a moment's problem with the rig, and it runs super cool. It's only my second build, the first one took me a couple more hours, as I was being overcautious and taking everything really, really slowly, even reading the "other guy's ideas on how it should be done" aka instructions. An added bonus is I didn't have to spend any time deleting a bunch of crapware loaded by the manufacturer. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. This rig beats the snot out of anything available at my local Best Buy, for less money than their pre-assembled rigs. Even Alienware can't touch it for the price, and even if they could, I have bragging rights. I did it myself. :D Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
scipioafricanus

For your skills in Skyrim, what ever you do you get experience for. Run a two handed sword, that levels up every time you use it. Be stealthy around an enemy, the numbers go up. So you can play as anything, as long as you try it. While Fallout has your Big Guns, Small Arms, Explosives, etc from 1 to 100, you get skill books, bobble-heads to increase those points.
AggieWalt

Post by AggieWalt »

Do you remember the "hoax" that was going around about a year ago with the all the clues about where fallout 4 was going to take place and some info on the game. Didn't that suggest the game was going to be a vault in or near Boston?
Apathy rules with an iron fist so we must strike back with steel resolve.