The Beeb Sacks Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Darrell

The Beeb Sacks Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson

Post by Darrell »

Well, it's official--the BBC has sacked Clarkson after his recent misbehavior. He punched one of Top Gear's producers after a day of shooting for the show and no hot meal was provided:
Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

25 March 2015

Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed after an "unprovoked physical attack" on a Top Gear producer, the BBC's director general has confirmed.

Tony Hall said he had "not taken this decision lightly" and recognised it would "divide opinion".

However, he added "a line has been crossed" and he "cannot condone what has happened on this occasion".

Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, following what was called a "fracas" with Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon.

The row, which took place in a Yorkshire hotel, was said to have occurred because no hot food was provided following a day's filming.

There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations
Lord Hall, BBC director general

An internal investigation began last week, led by Ken MacQuarrie, the director of BBC Scotland.

It found that Mr Tymon took himself to hospital after he was subject to an "unprovoked physical and verbal attack".

"During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip."

It lasted "around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness," Mr MacQuarrie noted in his report.

"The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period" and "contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack" Mr Tymon, who believed he had lost his job.

'Extraordinary contribution'

Mr Tymon did not file a formal complaint and it is understood Clarkson reported himself to BBC bosses following the incident.

After that, the BBC's director of television, Danny Cohen, felt he had no choice but to suspend the presenter pending an investigation.

The decision caused an outpouring of support from Top Gear fans, with more than a million people signing an online petition to reinstate him.

Announcing his decision, Lord Hall said Clarkson's dismissal was unavoidable.

I am well aware that many will be sorry his involvement in the show should end in this way
Oisin Tymon

"For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations."

However, he added: "This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC. I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear."
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

Top Gear has long been the Beeb's cash cow--it's shown in 200 countries around the world. I suspect they've shot themselves in the foot big time. That said, Clarkson was already on thin ice at the BBC, after several incidents of questionable behavior. I suspect too that the politically correct forces at the Beeb finally won against a notably un-PC TV star. The future of the show is unknown at this time.

ETA: Let me rephrase that last bit--the BBC says the show will continue. The future of James May and Richard Hammond, Clarkson's costars, is unknown. It turns out the contracts of all three are up at the end of March. Clarkson & co. may laugh all the way to the bank at some other network.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
randy

Re: The Beeb Sacks Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson

Post by randy »

I took me awhile to "get" Clarkson as the first time I heard of him was some anti-American rant.

Then I discovered he wasn't an asshole to just Americans, he was an equal opportunity asshole that ranted about everybody. That, I can respect.

Punching out Piers Morgan certainly didn't damage his reputation with me.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

About time - although he CAN be entertaining, he CLEARLY HATED America!

As far as I'm concerned, GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Maybe he'll have better luck interviewing the kangaroos and aboriginals down in Aussie-land!!!

HE caused his own problems and stomped on his own cash cow - now I can't wait to hear him whine and complain about how he was so unfairly treated, etc., etc., - you know, the ENTITLEMENT mindset!!!! :lol:
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote:Punching out Piers Morgan certainly didn't damage his reputation with me.
Yes. When I read about this earlier today, my first thought was that there has to be some way to get those two together again. Maybe invite Simon Cowell along to serve as referee. :mrgreen:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rod

Post by Rod »

Mike, as someone else said, he hated everyone equally, and actually had nice things to say about America on occasion. If I'm not mistaken though, Clarkson OWNS Top Gear and the Beeb won't be able to produce it if that's so. As for his running partners, they've already said if he goes, they go.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

They'll just shift to a new production company or start producing it themselves. It isn't like you actually NEED a TV studio to make a tv show anymore.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Rod wrote:Mike, as someone else said, he hated everyone equally, and actually had nice things to say about America on occasion. If I'm not mistaken though, Clarkson OWNS Top Gear and the Beeb won't be able to produce it if that's so. As for his running partners, they've already said if he goes, they go.
Interesting - we'll see what he does with his cash cow, if he REALLY does own the majority of it. Sometimes, people's egos get the better of them when making BUSINESS decisions, and they screw up EVERYTHING! LOL!! 8-)
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

That'll teach him, having opinions that are unpopular around the Beeb. If Clarkson were a garden-variety kiddie diddler like Jimmy Savile, he'd be protected down the line.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
BDK

Post by BDK »

They were paid remarkably little given their success - ESP given the cost of living in the UK
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Standby for the Netflix reunion of the 3 + the Stig.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story