Bud counter hipster marketing

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
blackeagle603

Bud counter hipster marketing

Post by blackeagle603 »

Anyone notice the shot Bud took at hipsters with this Superbowl ad?

Appealing to "people who like to drink their beer the hard way..." Implying Bud is for tough minded tough sorts.

So will the effect be to pull Lumbersexuals away from Pabst and Vitamin R and into Bud? That would be some irony.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
dfwmtx

Re: Bud counter hipster marketing

Post by dfwmtx »

InBev feels threatened by the tiny dent the craft beer market has made in their sales, and has gone on the offensive. Currently they're in stage 2-3 of the Gandhi Threat Recognition ("First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.”), with this half-assed marketing mock. Which is funny, since part of their attempt to keep their beer monopoly going includes buying up smaller craft beer companies, or making their own, and putting out shitty product (Shock Top) in an attempt to discredit craft beer in the buyer's minds. Drinking any beer with "Bud" or "Lite" is not "the hard way", unless your frat brother's hazing includes forced butt-chugging. This is an appeal for the lack of taste over taste, an appeal to enjoy that cheap McDonalds burger that's been under the warming lamp, instead of the burger hot off your grill, made with an awesome cut of ground meat, on a freshly baked bun with all the fixings you like.

TL;DR - fuck InBev, Bud's parent company. Life is too short for crappy beer, which theirs is. Drink what you enjoy, except if you're drinking it ironically, or you're a beer snob.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Nothing in this add changes the fact that their beer is crap.

You know it's important to remember that just as often that Gandi quote goes "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then they exterminate you.”

:jacked:
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

"lumber sexuals"?

Is that what the fucking nancyboys are dressing up as?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yogimus wrote:"lumber sexuals"?

Is that what the fucking nancyboys are dressing up as?
You're a little slow. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Bud gives me a headache. Really. The first one, I'm okay, the second one I've got a slight headache right between my eyes, the third one is full-on misery. Consequently, I don't drink Budweiser. I can drink Miller's all night long, or Coors, with nary a problem. Sam Adams, any variety, but Bud gives me a headache.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

InBev recognizes that less than 50% of beer drinkers under age 30 have ever had a Bud.

Yet Pabst is having a surge of sales in that age group. Go figure. "I seen the giant Armadillo!"

InBev is a core holding in my stock accounts. Not 'cause I drink much of anything they but because I take a cue from Charlie Monger and saw a chance in not to distant past to buy a great company at a great price.

Industries consolidate sure as the sun rises in the east. InBev has the big bucks to be the gorilla that makes those acquistions and the network to expand distribution of smaller brands. Their debt is high-ish for my taste but the dividend payout keeps stepping up and they cover it with earnings well enough for my liking.

Altria is reportedly dancing with idea of unloading their 27%(?) share of SABMiller. There has been speculation about InBev going for that deal.

Mike's Hard Lemonade is said to be in play for a buyout. InBev is a possible buyer there as well.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Bud and similar have a small place in my life. I'll crack one while mowing the lawn on a sweltering day. My riding mower has a cup holder. :) And I'll throw my workers some at the end of a hot work day. I can't imagine a Guinness fitting the bill at those times. But I do love Guinness and a nice IPA on occasion. I'm really not that much of a beer drinker these days. I prefer distilled spirits and occasionally a good zesty red wine.

When I was a teen, Bud was the decent stuff! Michelob was upscale and Heineken was for rare occasions when someone pilfered some coin from their parents. Pabst was low rent, but we drank it. Hell, we would drink anything we could find. The cheapest stuff I can recall was Crystal Beer. Back in the mid-80's, a case could be had for $4.50. We had a saying, "For half a skin less than a fin, with Crystal Beer you're bound to win!"
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

It's worth mentioning that for as God awful as bud is, they have some remarkable skill at keeping it consistent. Don't get me wrong, it's shite in a bottle, but it's the exact same every damned time.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

That can be their new ad: Budwiser, consistently awful.