RIP Maverick and Rockford

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Rod

RIP Maverick and Rockford

Post by Rod »

James Garner dead at 86. Flaming liberal but great, underrated actor. link
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Darrell

Re: RIP Maverick and Rockford

Post by Darrell »

Huh, may he RIP. I wasn't aware of his politics, but I liked his acting.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

The films I liked the best are probably the most under-rated. I absolutely loved his "Support your..." series. He and Janck Elam were tbe perfect foils for each other's humor.

Support Your Local Gunfighter

Support Your Local Sheriff
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Rod

Post by Rod »

CByrneIV wrote:5th regimental combat team, pusan perimeter, Two purple hearts...

He can get a pass for being an old fashioned bleeding heart liberal.

He was a 1940s/50s liberal, not a 60's through 2010s cloward piven liberal.
Agree wholeheartedly. A good man is the best way to describe him. Never heard a nasty word about him from anyone.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Great actor, great guy, class act.
Married to the same woman for 48 years, which tells you how much of Hollywood rubbed off on him.
You likely wouldn't know his politics without digging, because he had the good grace not to wear them on his sleeve.
And he was generally gracious about his moderate success.
I'm happy to say I literally bumped into him once, in 1996, got to tell him I'd been a fan forever, and he thanked me and walked over towards his set, and I went about my business.
He made a perfect unit scrounger as Hendley, one of three American fliers, in The Great Escape, in no small part because he'd been exactly that for real in the Army in Korea in 1951.
IMHO, Support Your Local Sherrif was the best Western comedy ever made, with Blazing Saddles a raunchy distant second. (Sorry Mel.)
And The Rockford Files was the quintessential must-see TV detective series of the 70s-80s, and literally launched Magnum P.I. and Tom Selleck's career, along with boosting those of about 100 other contract actors at Uni in the late 70s. He was rightfully nominated for Best Actor for 1985's Murphy's Romance, though Columbia hadn't even wanted him in the picture. (Co-star Sally Field reported later that her on-screen kiss with Garner was the best cinematic kiss she had ever experienced.) The series Maverick was iconic, to the point that making the movie version without Garner was unthinkable, and was yet another star turn for him at age 66.
He died at home in his own bed, at peace, and had a helluva run to get from Oklahoma to Brentwood, and while he's gone, it won't sting as much as long as his movies and TV shows are on the shelf to enjoy.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
evan price

Post by evan price »

One of the best early memories of my childhood was watching Rockford Files in the living room. I would literally line up my little matchbox cars to be ready to re-enact a car chase if it occurred, and I had a Hot Wheels firebird that I would dutifully prowl around the living room floor when Garner drove.
The kit Garner used to print up business cards instantly while on a job was so fascinating to me that I did my best to make my own.

We'll forgive Garner for Tank, won't we?
Space Cowboys wasn't a good movie, but it had great talent, and those great old men are slowly going away.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

evan price wrote:We'll forgive Garner for Tank, won't we?
You're kidding, right?
Until this morning, I was hoping for a sequel!
I can even give you a list of at least 42 cities and PDs where it should be set.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

evan price wrote:One of the best early memories of my childhood was watching Rockford Files in the living room.
Rockford Files was the first "adult" show my parents let me watch.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Other than the Support your local Sherrif s I really liked Cash Macall (sp?) .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Aesop wrote:
evan price wrote:We'll forgive Garner for Tank, won't we?
You're kidding, right?
Until this morning, I was hoping for a sequel!
I can even give you a list of at least 42 cities and PDs where it should be set.
I thought that was a fun movie and Garner walked through it and still made it good.