Does Anyone Else Think That Women In The Workplace

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Aglifter

Re: Does Anyone Else Think That Women In The Workplace

Post by Aglifter »

Why do your bosses know about your personal lives?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Aglifter wrote:Why do your bosses know about your personal lives?
Because that's what a leader does. You want to be a leader, not a manager, right?
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Pretty unavoidable, in most office situations, especially. "So, Bob, you married or got any kids?" You can say, "I'm sorry, but that's personal. You're not allowed to ask me that." Good luck getting ahead with THAT attitude, the law be damned.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Yogimus wrote:
Because that's what a leader does. You want to be a leader, not a manager, right?
AYUP!

When I ran a crew on the flight line (in the early 1980's), I had data cards on all my people. I had their shoe and boot sizes (especially if they were different sizes), their flight glove size (same for work gloves), hat and flight helmet sizes, overalls and flight suit sizes, any medical issues/restrictions, their maritial status, kids, and important dates, if they wore glasses I usually had a copy of their prescription, etc., all of this so I could better anticipate important events in their personal lives and support them however I could. If it was their wedding anniversary, I might be able to kick him loose a few hours early without him having to even mention it or ask. If they needed flight gear or safety clothing replaced, I knew what size to order and I could do it even while they were out on a flight or heavily involved in maintenance. If they were married and wore a wedding band, I had a box to check if they'd been to the base fire department to have the grooves cut into the inside of the band so it would break rather than taking their finger off, if something got snagged on the ring. If some officer complained about one of my black folks who looked like he hadn't shaved, I could show him a copy of the guy's doctor's note saying he had a skin condition which shaving closely made worse.

I supported and took good care of my people. Happy personnel will work harder for you if they know you take care of them and support them (and they'll take care of each other too).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
randy

Post by randy »

Yogimus wrote:
+1, especially in the military.

Very especially if your troops have security clearances and on the Personnel Reliability Program that require you to be aware of any issues that might make them a risk.

Add in being stationed overseas and needing to know what issues you might have in a NEO (Non-combatant Evacuation Operation) situation, what quarters are available for them, etc.

Fortunately, I always had good NCOs to do the lions share of this type of information tracking, but I had to be aware enough to avoid being blind sided.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Jericho941 wrote:Meh. There's always some total bullshit touchy-feely unfairness, even in an entirely male workcenter.
I got a raise, when nobody else did, because I was willing to work stupid amounts of hours("If shit's gotta get done, shit's gotta get done."), take a shot at pretty much anything, and yaknow, was actually competent at my job*

*My boss asked me the other day who I thought could actually read the new vernier calipers we got... It came down to me, him, and the Design guy.. :lol: We actually have "minions" that don't understand tape measures... :shock:
Yogimus wrote:
They actually got me a birthday cake the friday before, because I was taking the day off.. Complete with off key singing. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

Jericho941 wrote:You even see the same crap in the military. Even just being married gives you a leg up on all those single guys, whose time is suddenly far less important, because reasons.
I always tried to even things out on such things as holiday duty and pulled some watch center shifts myself to let at least one of the regulars have a holiday off (but only one, no one, least of all me, was stupid enough to leave an officer totally alone in that position! ;) ). But there were some things (base housing/off base housing vs Dorms for instance) that was beyond my control.

I remember one of the assignments officers once stated he preferred divorced service members. They were the least likely to suddenly become married and complicate the assignments process, working remote tours, etc.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Oh, I understand about the birthdays, and stuff - I guess I just never got conflating "XYZ"s personal life with how they were treated professionally - but we might have a weird structure as well - I only, directly, deal with a handful of people on a regular basis.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

HTRN wrote:We actually have "minions" that don't understand tape measures... :shock:
???????????
I don't understand.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I had to teach a kid how to read a simple gauge the other day. I was in shock that it wasnt intuitive. You know, 8000 coming after 7000 and all. Maybe they should keep him shoveling sand into the mixer...