Dredd

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
scipioafricanus

Dredd

Post by scipioafricanus »

Saw "Dredd" on Netflix yesterday. I must say I actually enjoyed it. Simple action movie set in a dystopian future was quite good. Much better than that Stallone version.

Full Disclosure: I have never read the comic and my only reference to Dredd is the Stallone movie.

Thoughts?

SA
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
rightisright

Re: Dredd

Post by rightisright »

I saw it on Netflix a few days ago. I rate it PG. Pretty Good.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

"I AM THE LAW!" (I think the humor carries more weight w. a legal perspective.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Any installment of Dredd will forever have the spectre of Stallone and Schneider dragging it down to a quick and ignoble drowning death. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised and thought Karl Urban did a great job with the role. There's nothing about it that's Oscar worthy and.it is rather predictable, but it was enjoyable. Considering the price of admission (netflix streaming) you can't really go wrong.
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Funny thing is, as bad as the Stallone version was, it's still reasonably watchable (if there's nothing else on).

The newer one was pretty good, a little more gritty, which is good, although Dredd is still somewhat painted as a good guy, which he isn't really.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
oilcrash

Post by oilcrash »

Had trouble with the artsy slo-mo scenes early on. I lost interest.
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Mega City One didn't quite as "built up" as you would expect, a lot of what looked like "suburbs", interspersed with some massive buildings.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Based on the reviews here I watched it tonight and was quite pleasantly surprised. The movie knew exactly what it was and what it wanted to do and did it perfectly. The one thing that surprised me what the the Judges weapons handling. Dredd kept both hands on his gun, seemed to have a good stance, and actually seemed to be aiming when shooting. These are things not often seen in Sci Fi action movies.
martini

Post by martini »

I saw it a couple of months back and was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't call it a great film, but it was a pretty good flick.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

martini wrote:I saw it a couple of months back and was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't call it a great film, but it was a pretty good flick.
That's how I felt about it. Got to watch it in 3D with two of my friends back home on leave. It was kinda like The Raid, only... not as stupid.