Grammy bluesman, music writer JJ Cale dies in La Jolla

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
308Mike

Grammy bluesman, music writer JJ Cale dies in La Jolla

Post by 308Mike »

Linkarooni - a VERY talented man and a class act, may he RIP:
Grammy-winning bluesman, music writer JJ Cale dies in La Jolla
Cale wrote for Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd

(Photo courtesy: YouTube)
None

Posted: 07/27/2013
Last Updated: 5 hours ago

SAN DIEGO - Singer J.J. Cale, a Grammy-winning bluesman and music writer, has died at a La Jolla hospital, his web site said Saturday. He was 74.

The songwriter had given up on any music career and was living anonymously in Oklahoma when Eric Clapton covered his bluesy "After Midnight" as a raucous rock anthem in 1970. Cale was unaware of Clapton's version until he heard it on top 40 radio in Tulsa, four years after he had recorded it as a
demo, according to magazine reports at the time.

"I was dirt poor, not making enough money to eat and I wasn't a young man," he told Mojo magazine. "I was in my thirties, so I was very happy (with the hit). It was nice to make some money."

"After Midnight" was covered by such diverse acts as Chet Atkins, The Shirelles, The Jerry Garcia Band and Phish. Cale drove to Nashville to record a solo album, and his earthy blues version of "After Midnight" reached number 42 on the Billboard album rock charts in 1972.

Cale was a prolific writer of hits in the '70s, penning such classics as "They Call Me The Breeze" for Lynard Skynard. Other '70s acts familiar to album rock listeners on FM radio that covered his work were The Band, Maria Muldaur, and Captain Beefheart.

Clapton returned to Cale's catalog to record "Cocaine," and their 2007 collaboration album, "The Road To Escondido," won them a Grammy.

One biographer asked Cale if it bothered him that fellow musicians considered him a legend, but he was not well known to fans.

"No, it doesn't bother me," he said. "What's really nice is when you get a check in the mail."

Cale had suffered a massive heart attack, and died at 8 a.m. Friday at Scripps Memorial Hospital. No services were immediately scheduled, his web site said.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
First Shirt

Re: Grammy bluesman, music writer JJ Cale dies in La Jolla

Post by First Shirt »

I like his version of "After Midnight" better than Clapton's. Maybe he did it better because he wrote it.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
McClarkus

Re: Grammy bluesman, music writer JJ Cale dies in La Jolla

Post by McClarkus »

"Call the Doctor" = major mojo - good stuff - RIP......
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.