Tenure IS Weird

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
martini

Re: Tenure IS Weird

Post by martini »

Hey Bullspit, what do you teach?
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

PawPaw wrote:
workinwifdakids wrote:
skb12172 wrote:Having been a tenure track professor at a large, public university, that could not be farther from the truth. In many departments, the workload is 20 hours per week, at best. Yes, I know we are supposed to research and write, but that is rarely enforced past tenure.
Well, I appreciate that, but if we both have radically different experiences, I'm not sure we should draw any radical conclusions.
Interesting. When my first wife was getting her Master's it was common knowledge that several professors would sell a B for a blow job, and an A for several hours of sweaty sex, especially during finals. When my wife came to me to critique her blowjob, I should have known something was amiss, but I was happy that she was interested in my opinion of her sexual skills, but it soon became apparent that she was using me to tutor her for her exams. Luckily, student loans were not considered as part of the community. It is her Master's degree, after all.
There was a Criminal Justice professor at SLU that was trading Xanex and other prescription drugs for BJ's in his office, and during office hours. I knew a Chem professor that saw the writing on the wall and got out before the A's for "social time" became common knowledge. Last I heard he was working for Dow.
Last edited by Steamforger on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Make the university a cosigner on the student loan.
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Yogimus wrote:Make the university a cosigner on the student loan.
Funny point that relates... sort of. There are many students who take out the maximum amount of student loans, pay the college, and keep the rest. It's intended to pay for housing and incidentals while in school, is perfectly legitimate, except that most borrowers don't realize they don't have to keep the whole amount. That's an aside, but anyway: there are big scams among certain demographics of borrowers who then take these school loans, wait until it's too late for the professor to drop them, and then simply stop coming to class. They essentially trade an "F" on their transcripts for later debt and a significant paycheck now, and they may default later anyway.

Quite the scam.

So at least where I'm at we have to note the last day of active participation by every student who receives an F, because the federal department of education will hold us liable for the loan if we don't.
MarkD wrote:What was that joke about the girl who goes to her teacher during office hours, closes the door, looks at him meaningfully, and says "I would do ANYTHING for an A." The teacher looks at her and says "Anything?" She replies "Yes, absolutely anything." He draws closer to her and says "Would you.....study?"
Oh, man - have you seen The Life of David Gale? It's one of the best political-moral movies I've ever seen. The excellent Kevin Spacey is a college professor and does that routine with one of his students. It was comedy gold - brilliant.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Jered

Post by Jered »

workinwifdakids wrote: Oh, man - have you seen The Life of David Gale? It's one of the best political-moral movies I've ever seen. The excellent Kevin Spacey is a college professor and does that routine with one of his students. It was comedy gold - brilliant.
Clint Eastwood. The Eiger Sanction.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.