The Lone Ranger (no spoilers)

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Aesop

The Lone Ranger (no spoilers)

Post by Aesop »

If you haven't caught this one yet, or got worried about bad reviews, ignore them, head to the metroplex, and
GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

The idiot critics who panned it have their heads up their fourth point of contact, and if audience reaction tonight was anything to judge by, this was just the first movie in the next franchise of films for Disney. Personally, between this, Monsters U., and the upcoming Planes I'd buy stock in the company.*

Johnny Depp continues to be awesome, and at once far more understated and funny than in any of the POTC outings. He outdoes the comedic instincts of Harold Lloyd and Charlie Chaplin. Just when the film starts to get dark, it's like they remember who the hero is, and it's good times once again. Over and over, for 2 1/2 hours.

This isn't a documentary, it's an A-Team western, where the six-shooters occasionally carry 50 shots, and if you care about that when it happens, you aren't watching the movie. Shot on location in NM, UT, CO, AZ, and CA, this is a rip-roaring western as only Disney with their newly acquired subsidiary, ILM, could have pulled off. And they nailed this one.

When the soundtrack breaks into the William Tell Overture for the climactic end sequence, it has the impact of "Ride of the Valkyries" in Apocalypse Now, except with more gunfire and more $#!^ blowing up, and loads funnier.

Your money in exchange for a ticket: good trade.
My rating: Heigh ho, Silver, away!

*(Full disclosure, that's exactly what I intend to do. My current temp employer has a stock investment plan I intend to take full advantage of, and the boss is a large-eared rodent with four-fingered white gloves, and I caught this on their nickel, on the clock, on the lot, one of about 5-6 times in 20 years in the biz where I got a free show. But I would have enjoyed this one just as well had I paid premium retail for the ticket. I think you will as well.)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
blackeagle603

Re: The Lone Ranger (no spoilers)

Post by blackeagle603 »

Daughter #1 and I saw it together. Took low expectations inside -- left pleasantly surprised.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

...and I _gotta_ get me some rabbits now.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

There was a herd of them on post at MCRD that could use some thinning, IIRC.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Saw it very funny , the wife and I liked it , Depp was great .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.