Foreign languages - reinforce known or try new?

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
Weetabix

Re: Foreign languages - reinforce known or try new?

Post by Weetabix »

Mike OTDP wrote:
Aesop wrote:Learn German and use it exclusively.
Come to think of it, I have the Rosetta Stone software for Deutsch. The only problem being that most Germans speak English - and are looking for an opportunity to practice. :D
When I was in Germany that was my experience. Except for the few who pretended they didn't understand either my English or my German, both of which were passable at that time. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Highspeed wrote:
Mike OTDP wrote:Not sure...I'm tempted to rent a car, though. Any advice?
Renting a car will be fairly painless. The 'Traffico' here are wankers and are looking to bust you for anything. The ultimate stealth vehicle is a white van of the Renault or Citroen variety. That's what the good 'ol boys like

Driving in Spain is a whole different experience. No-one uses turn signals, there aren't always stop signs ( or at least any ones which make any sense ) and 90% of the population drive like 80 year old Alzheimer victims. The other 10% drive like they are immortal.
Sicily. Never saw anything like it before or since.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Weetabix wrote:
Mike OTDP wrote:
Aesop wrote:Learn German and use it exclusively.
Come to think of it, I have the Rosetta Stone software for Deutsch. The only problem being that most Germans speak English - and are looking for an opportunity to practice. :D
When I was in Germany that was my experience. Except for the few who pretended they didn't understand either my English or my German, both of which were passable at that time. :D
Where in Germany were you guys?? That's not my experience, and I've been from Kiel to Bavaria. Sure, they can speak English, but unless they know you personally they usually don't like to do so. And the same is usually true for France as well. It's fairly big countries, with many people speaking the language, and they seem to want everyone else to know if they go there. Scandinavian countries are a bit easier, since the languages are smaller, but in most European countries people tend to expect you to at least try to speak their language.

One tip I learned a long time ago, and which has helped me a lot in many countries, is to always initiate conversation in the local language, regardless of how limited your knowledge is. Then let the locals change language when they realize it's not enough. I know Americans that have tried that in Scandinavia, and they said they got a lot better reception than if they started with English. People appreciate the effort.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Actually the question is which will give you greater return for your effort. In High School I learned what I call TV German, which would be perfect for a conversation with a TV. :lol: Since then I've tried with varying effort and success to learn Italian and Spanish. When I try to speak either one, there's no telling which will come out! :oops:

Bavarians and Austrians have a funny accent, and they kind of "mush the words together". If you speak textbook German they will try to speak it too, which improves your chances of understanding them. Swiss German for some reason is pretty close to TV German. The Swiss usually don't know English (they have to learn French, German and Italian for school, which leaves little room for English), but there are so many guest workers there, someone will know English. Every shop clerk seemed to be Canadian or Australian. I was in the Italian part of Switzerland once, and had an curious conversation in German with an Italian mechanic about the warning light on the rental car.

Usually the best approach is to ask, "I'm sorry, do you speak English" in the local language.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Erik

Post by Erik »

Windy Wilson wrote:Bavarians and Austrians have a funny accent, and they kind of "mush the words together". .
Funny enough, I had no trouble with Bavarian at all. I don't know why, but it was a source of wonder for the other Germans I talked to in Bavaria that I had no problem understanding the Bavarian accent. They were even more amazed that I didn't even realize it was an accent when the Bavarians spoke, I thought it was very easy to understand.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Erik wrote:Where in Germany were you guys??
Munich was where they pretended not to understand. In restaurants, mostly. I figured it must have been some anniversary of something. Every tour we went on, they told us pointedly about the "senseless Allied bombings during the war." I'm guessing the wait staff felt a keener sense of outrage about something.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I can't imagine you didn't notice a Bavarian accent... Yeesh...

Oh, and I couldn't find any English Speaking Germans - just German speaking ones who loved to use only idioms...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Erik wrote: One tip I learned a long time ago, and which has helped me a lot in many countries, is to always initiate conversation in the local language, regardless of how limited your knowledge is. Then let the locals change language when they realize it's not enough. I know Americans that have tried that in Scandinavia, and they said they got a lot better reception than if they started with English. People appreciate the effort.
I agree completely. Had that experience in both France and Germany. I'm not terribly fluent in either language, but know enough for simple things - and basic courtesy.

Guess I need to start working on Spanish. Any advice on software?
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Michel Thomas ( spelling ? ) is very good but the pronunciation is US Spanish. The difference between the two actually does matter, I didn't think it would, but it does. But still, you won't go far wrong with that course.

I expect you are probably going to be on a tight schedule when you come here to compete, but if you do get the chance to visit us you will be very welcome ( it's 370 klicks from Granada to here though )
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Greg

Post by Greg »

Aglifter wrote:I can't imagine you didn't notice a Bavarian accent... Yeesh...

Oh, and I couldn't find any English Speaking Germans - just German speaking ones who loved to use only idioms...
Heh. When I was studying German, one of the kids in the class had these weird pronunciations that he picked up from his grandparents or something. Our teacher (a very stern Prussian lady who taught proper radio announcer German) allowed it, because while it was odd it was still (as she said) valid German. Always sounded like he had a big mouthful of soft custard. Poor kid had Bavarian grandparents or something. :)

I've only been to Germany twice, early 80's then late 80's and I never had trouble finding someone willing to speak English. It seemed like a quarter of the people there spoke some amount of English. And my attempts at speaking German were always welcomed and encouraged, even one cab driver telling me some very dirty stories that I could barely make out a fraction of.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr