Day By Day Armageddon by JL Bourne

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
skb12172

Day By Day Armageddon by JL Bourne

Post by skb12172 »

Who is a currently serving US Navy officer. I just finished the 3rd and newest book. Has anybody else read this series? Whaddya think?

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Jericho941

Re: Day By Day Armageddon by JL Bourne

Post by Jericho941 »

The first one was interesting. The second was boring. I didn't feel especially motivated to pick up the third.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

The first one was great. The second, was ok, but an interesting continuation of the story. The third is meh.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Without even links to the material being discussed, most folks reading this thread are going to say: MEH!

They respond so simply because they might not have any idea what you're talking about (not EVERYONE is a Day-by-Day reader/follower). It is, after all, a CULTURAL reference, and many of us don't stay up on the "current culture" - YMMV).

Consider your audience when posting (some of us are cultural DINOSAURS, and FAR PAST "Old-Timers", so you need to help us out a little bit - *IF* you want us to understand what you're talking about). ;) ;) ;)
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Goods2010

Post by Goods2010 »

First one was pretty decent. Not mind blowing enough for me to follow the sequels.

My problem with a lot of apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic fiction is there isn't enough struggle through out the story. Everyone just so happens to find that magic bunker/walmart/island/etc. that takes care of all their wants/needs for the future. Not to mention they only ever end up tangling with a vastly inferior force of bandits that could be brushed aside like nothing. Also my favorite negative thing is there is always a secret shadow government or Illuminati behind the catastrophe.

Then again people tell me if I don't like what's out there or think its too easy why don't I write my own? Think I'll start....

Oops.... :jacked:
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

When writing survival fantasy, no author imagines that they might not actually survive their envisioned scenario.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Goods2010 wrote: Also my favorite negative thing is there is always a secret shadow government or Illuminati behind the catastrophe.
That has been my main issue with this series and so many other apocalypse/survival shows like Revolution, Jericho, etc. Can't have a natural event, or aliens, or even a war without _somehow_ involving some cabal inside the U.S. of government types, corporations or moguls or equivalent. Puts a real pall on the stories for me.
Goods2010

Post by Goods2010 »

Rich Jordan wrote:That has been my main issue with this series and so many other apocalypse/survival shows like Revolution, Jericho, etc. Can't have a natural event, or aliens, or even a war without _somehow_ involving some cabal inside the U.S. of government types, corporations or moguls or equivalent. Puts a real pall on the stories for me.
Yeah... I'm dead certain .gov would screw all of those things up somehow.
Jericho941 wrote:When writing survival fantasy, no author imagines that they might not actually survive their envisioned scenario.
So I suppose if I started writing and published something I would be the first.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

I'd just say that if you're trying to write a survival fantasy and you're basing the protagonist on yourself, then don't just pile your merits on the protagonist. Basically, you must become the God of the Old Testament, and your avatar should envy Job by the time you're through. Think of every bad thing you've done in life and invent new and cruel ways to punish yourself for them.

Supplies go bad, get washed away or stolen. Tools wear out and break, or get lost or stolen. Family and friends sicken and die or are killed and maimed, through accident or malice, or suicide. Loneliness, hunger, sleep deprivation threaten his sanity every day. Some things the character "knows" about are wrong. (Think of something you learned about survival years ago, only to find out recently was flawed or counterproductive). No, he does not find a cute, funny, smart girl to shack up with. No, no warrior princesses either. Everyone is filthy, everyone is ugly, everyone stinks. He is forced to do things that shatter his idea of who he is, just to survive. And no, that's not the easy shit like shooting someone who tried to steal his food. Eventually, even with a bit of food and shelter he should wonder what the point is in going on, and miss being able to hate trivial things like the nation's obsession with godawful television and the sound of Nicki Minaj shoving her microphone up her ass.

Otherwise, it just becomes another book where some guy decided to make this t-shirt into a book.