Latest Movie Reviews???

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
308Mike

Latest Movie Reviews???

Post by 308Mike »

My wife & I were recently looking over the latest movie choices, and decided we're going to watch the latest Star Trek movie: Star Trek Into Darkness: An IMAX 3D Experience. We've never been to a 3D movie before, but for the minor price increase, this might be the movie we're looking to try seeing in 3D. We hope the 3D stuff will be much better than what we've seen at the local stores, looking at their 3D TVs.

While we were trying to decide on the movie, I happened to see that Iron Man 3 is out (one of our local liberal rags calls it: Lumbering Man, and they actually gave it a single star, which is MUCH BETTER than the BOMB they gave to Leonardo DiCaprio's remake of: The Great Gatsby (which they called: The "great" character). Here's their "rating" chart:

As you can see, the BOMB is THE ABSOLUTE lowest rating they can give a movie, but you also have to CONSIDER THE SOURCE. I've seen ratings where they were right on, and then I've seen ratings that were obviously skewed due to political leanings. So, ANY REVIEW from The Reader needs to be taken with a SALT LICK (not just a little bit of salt, ya' hear???).

Regardless, we were wondering what the members of this forum have seen and their opinions of the latest crop of movies to hit the BIG screen.

FIRE AWAY!!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Little Sister

Re: Latest Movie Reviews???

Post by Little Sister »

Dinochrome and I went to see Ironman3 on a simple digital screen and ............ LOVED IT!!!! When we came out and were discussing it in the lobby, I was all ready looking forward to seeing it again.

You don't have to see Ironman 2 (I didn't) but it would help to see the Avengers.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity - Robert Heinlein
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Little Sister wrote:Dinochrome and I went to see Ironman3 on a simple digital screen and ............ LOVED IT!!!! When we came out and were discussing it in the lobby, I was all ready looking forward to seeing it again.

You don't have to see Ironman 2 (I didn't) but it would help to see the Avengers.
We've seen both, so that helps - THANKS!!! :P :P :P :P

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

I just tend to watch Battle:Los Angeles and Baytown Outlaws on a loop ;)
That comic book shit can kiss my ass :lol:
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Highspeed wrote:I just tend to watch Battle:Los Angeles and Baytown Outlaws on a loop ;)
That comic book shit can kiss my ass :lol:

Battle: Los Angeles was a much better movie than it got credit for.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Doc Nickel had a good review of Ironman 3 up recently.

ETA- Ironman 3

Sorry, was posting from my phone and linking is a great big pain. More critique than review I guess, but I still found it handy.

Spoilers abound...
Last edited by Steamforger on Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Steamforger wrote:Doc Nickel had a good review of Ironman 3 up recently.
If you happen to have it, a link would be VERY handy!! Even though it won't likely change our choice for tomorrow, seeing Star Trek in IMAX 3D. I'm not sure if the 3D aspect will live up to its hype, but since we've NEVER seen a 3D movie, we have NO IDEA what to expect - so we're keeping our expectations rather low. A discount on our popcorn might be worth it if we had a coupon. :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Ironman 3 was good. Not fantastic orgasmic, but good.

I was extremely surprised and impressed that "Oblivion" was excellent.
Tom Cruise may in fact be as crazy as an outhouse rat in the real world, but he can do action, and action sci-fi, and this is good material.

I'm seeing the new Star Trek tomorrow. If Abrams didn't screw the pooch this time, this'll become Paramount's "Bond" franchise for the next 50 years.

Which, frankly is more movies than I've spent money on than in the last 2 years.

I'd have to dig through my DVD pile for an hour to see the last thing I saw before "The Hobbit" that I'd recommend even for your NetFlix queue.
Unless it was "Battle L.A." or "Act Of Valor", most of a year earlier.
If Hollyweird is going to start making watchable movies, I'll start reviewing them again.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Our plans changed just prior to heading out to the movies 'cause my SIL wasn't able to go with us (we were trying to get her out of the house) due to work commitments. So, we're rescheduling to next week, but we'll be looking forward to Aesop's and anyone else's review of the latest Star Trek movie.

Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

They've been showing Battle: L.A. here on cable, not a half bad movie. Saw the "Predators" movie on cable too recently, not actually too bad. Beats the spin off AvP franchise, couldn't much get into that.

Iron Man 3 was good, although I hate Trilogy endings. Then again, maybe they'll bring him back in the next Avengers movie. ST:ID will be seen this weekend, previews look good for it.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult