Potemkin Culture?

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
toad

Potemkin Culture?

Post by toad »

Instapundit had a link to a post on "Potemkin Women"
http://captaincapitalism.blogspot.ro/20 ... women.html

As I read through the article and the comments it struck me that we had a culture that is dominated by the Potemkin people.
Self invovled, living in a fantasy environment that they created in their minds, who have never grown out of their middle school mind set. The are outmanuvered by the cynical who cater to their false beliefs in themselves.
The downfall is going to be ugly. Expect Hitler Downfall video any time now.
Jericho941

Re: Potemkin Culture?

Post by Jericho941 »

Does Instapundit do anything besides go to bars and coffee shops and pontificate about the losers he finds there? He sounds like one of those dour drunks who can't get a handle on his own problems, so he busies himself with those of others.

People go to bars to escape their problems. For many, that in itself is a problem.

TL;DR: People with serious problems get plastered all the time, reports Ric Romero.
toad

Post by toad »

The man doing the pontificating is not Instapundit.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

My bad. Been a long couple days. That Captain Capitalism guy, I mean.

EDIT: I thought he sounded familiar.
Last edited by Jericho941 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Its just more of the usual, empty, twisted problems so common in modern life - and modern women in particular.

Self-delusion, paired with a belief in various false idols, has destroyed the souls of a large section of the populace.

I don't know if I have ever met anyone as empty and lost as many of the professional women I have encountered.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I was married to one for 20 years. We went through two-year cycles where she would chase a dream, it would collapse on her, she'd go into a deep purple funk, then start chasing another dream. Very smart woman, with a Master's degree in education, but she couldn't pull anything together for more than two years. We went through those cycles for over 20 years and I came to accept them as normal, just a part of life that I had to accept and deal with. She spent money like it was water and for most of those 20 years I worked two, sometimes three jobs to keep us out of debtor's prison.

Until the cycle where she decided that she wanted to make it on her own. Of course, she left me with the kids and took half of my retirement. What a deal! After I got over the shock of divorce I realized that I knew how much money I'd have coming in each month and how much I needed to put in the budget.

It was a period of intense liberation for me. I dated around, chased skirts, but started looking for wife #2. My criteria was simple. I wanted to first make friends with a woman, someone who worked a job every day, either her own business or for an employer, someone who understood how the world works, who wasn't a stranger to adversity, and who honestly wanted a male friend in her life to partner with. After a three year search, where I admit I was a bit of a man-whore, I found a lady who wanted to hang out, wanted to share life, wanted to build a future based on sincere trust, mutual respect, and shared values.

I had to propose to her twice, once after we'd been togehther for a year, and again after we'd been together for 18 months. She turned me down flat both times. At the two year mark she proposed to me. We've been married ten years now, and we've never had an argument. Disagreements, of course, but we haven't argued once. We're both willing to hear the other out, we're both willing to compromise, and we're willing to work together.

The best thing my first wife ever did was to leave me. I've told her that more than once.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Jericho941 wrote:My bad. Been a long couple days. That Captain Capitalism guy, I mean.
I ran across his blog once upon a time. I was pretty excited to find what was referred to as a "good economics blog."

He struck me as a puling, bilious fellow, and I kind of wanted to wash my hands after reading a bit.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

It's got a certain level of interest for me because I never meet people like he describes and never have done. So it's sort of like when you went to the beach as a kid and turned over a flat rock to see all the weird things scuttling around underneath ?
I don't even understand why anyone would want to go to a coffee shop. These people might be some Amazonian tribe for all I have in common with them.

But yes, his writing does get boring pretty quickly.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Lots of opinions out their but I prefer the research it your self method regarding matters of the heart that being said , I can completely relate to "The best thing my first wife ever did was to leave me. I've told her that more than once. "
Cause I been there and done that.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Highspeed wrote:I don't even understand why anyone would want to go to a coffee shop. These people might be some Amazonian tribe for all I have in common with them.
Not sure if you're referring to his blog post. I got about one sentence in and remembered, "Oh. This guy." and left.

But as to going to a coffee shop, I can tell you why I go to one. Now, keep in mind I'm not much like anyone else I meet, so I may only be speaking for myself. The coffee shop I go to is like a neighborhood pub, but in the morning. I say hi to people I know. I visit with the guy who makes the coffee (I've taken him out shooting, and I still intend to take him and his wife out shooting together). I get into political conversations with liberals that make them shout expletives and shoot coffee out of their noses (true about the expletives, but only wishing on the nose). I read a book for a while with a cup of coffee. It's just another place to hang out that has a different vibe from home, work, or whatever. Plus the guys behind the counter have very eclectic musical tastes that mostly coincide with my own, so I like the Pandora stations they play.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D